Dec 6, 2011, 10:43 PM EST
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Pirates and McClouth have agreed to a one-year deal, pending a physical.
5:24 PM: Yesterday’s “mutual interest” in a Nate McLouth-Pirates reunion is apparently close to becoming a done deal and Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reports that they’re also close to signing Wilson Betemit.
McLouth would likely be a backup outfielder after two disastrous seasons with the Braves, while Betemit could push Pedro Alvarez at third base and provide an option at first base.
Betemit isn’t much of a defender, but the switch-hitter batted .290 with an .838 OPS in 181 games for the Royals and Tigers during the past two seasons. At worst he’s an excellent bench bat.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)