Dec 6, 2011, 10:43 PM EDT
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Pirates and McClouth have agreed to a one-year deal, pending a physical.
5:24 PM: Yesterday’s “mutual interest” in a Nate McLouth-Pirates reunion is apparently close to becoming a done deal and Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reports that they’re also close to signing Wilson Betemit.
McLouth would likely be a backup outfielder after two disastrous seasons with the Braves, while Betemit could push Pedro Alvarez at third base and provide an option at first base.
Betemit isn’t much of a defender, but the switch-hitter batted .290 with an .838 OPS in 181 games for the Royals and Tigers during the past two seasons. At worst he’s an excellent bench bat.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 33
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 44
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)