Dec 6, 2011, 10:43 PM EDT
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Pirates and McClouth have agreed to a one-year deal, pending a physical.
5:24 PM: Yesterday’s “mutual interest” in a Nate McLouth-Pirates reunion is apparently close to becoming a done deal and Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reports that they’re also close to signing Wilson Betemit.
McLouth would likely be a backup outfielder after two disastrous seasons with the Braves, while Betemit could push Pedro Alvarez at third base and provide an option at first base.
Betemit isn’t much of a defender, but the switch-hitter batted .290 with an .838 OPS in 181 games for the Royals and Tigers during the past two seasons. At worst he’s an excellent bench bat.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47