Dec 6, 2011, 10:43 PM EDT
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Pirates and McClouth have agreed to a one-year deal, pending a physical.
5:24 PM: Yesterday’s “mutual interest” in a Nate McLouth-Pirates reunion is apparently close to becoming a done deal and Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reports that they’re also close to signing Wilson Betemit.
McLouth would likely be a backup outfielder after two disastrous seasons with the Braves, while Betemit could push Pedro Alvarez at third base and provide an option at first base.
Betemit isn’t much of a defender, but the switch-hitter batted .290 with an .838 OPS in 181 games for the Royals and Tigers during the past two seasons. At worst he’s an excellent bench bat.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)