Dec 6, 2011, 10:43 PM EST
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Pirates and McClouth have agreed to a one-year deal, pending a physical.
5:24 PM: Yesterday’s “mutual interest” in a Nate McLouth-Pirates reunion is apparently close to becoming a done deal and Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reports that they’re also close to signing Wilson Betemit.
McLouth would likely be a backup outfielder after two disastrous seasons with the Braves, while Betemit could push Pedro Alvarez at third base and provide an option at first base.
Betemit isn’t much of a defender, but the switch-hitter batted .290 with an .838 OPS in 181 games for the Royals and Tigers during the past two seasons. At worst he’s an excellent bench bat.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 276
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (276)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)