Dec 6, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT
We know the Angels want another starter. It doesn’t seem at all likely that they’d want to subtract one immediately afterwards, but according to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, the Angels are fielding calls about Ervin Santana from teams thinking they have the inside track on C.J. Wilson.
The Angels would probably prefer to go into next season with a big four of Jered Weaver, Wilson, Dan Haren and Santana in their rotation, but it wouldn’t hurt to listen in case someone wants to offer them a top infielder for Santana. Although he finished 11-12, Santana had one of his best seasons last year. His 3.38 ERA ranked 14th in the AL, and he threw a career-high 228 2/3 innings.
As for his contract, Santana will earn $11.2 million next year. There’s also a $13 million club option for 2013. He’d become a free agent if that’s declined.
In return for Santana, the Angels would likely prefer an established corner infielder capable of hitting in the middle of the order. Boston’s Kevin Youkilis would make sense. Florida’s Gaby Sanchez probably wouldn’t fit the bill, though Logan Morrison might.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 38
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)