Dec 6, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT
We know the Angels want another starter. It doesn’t seem at all likely that they’d want to subtract one immediately afterwards, but according to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, the Angels are fielding calls about Ervin Santana from teams thinking they have the inside track on C.J. Wilson.
The Angels would probably prefer to go into next season with a big four of Jered Weaver, Wilson, Dan Haren and Santana in their rotation, but it wouldn’t hurt to listen in case someone wants to offer them a top infielder for Santana. Although he finished 11-12, Santana had one of his best seasons last year. His 3.38 ERA ranked 14th in the AL, and he threw a career-high 228 2/3 innings.
As for his contract, Santana will earn $11.2 million next year. There’s also a $13 million club option for 2013. He’d become a free agent if that’s declined.
In return for Santana, the Angels would likely prefer an established corner infielder capable of hitting in the middle of the order. Boston’s Kevin Youkilis would make sense. Florida’s Gaby Sanchez probably wouldn’t fit the bill, though Logan Morrison might.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)