Dec 6, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT
We know the Angels want another starter. It doesn’t seem at all likely that they’d want to subtract one immediately afterwards, but according to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, the Angels are fielding calls about Ervin Santana from teams thinking they have the inside track on C.J. Wilson.
The Angels would probably prefer to go into next season with a big four of Jered Weaver, Wilson, Dan Haren and Santana in their rotation, but it wouldn’t hurt to listen in case someone wants to offer them a top infielder for Santana. Although he finished 11-12, Santana had one of his best seasons last year. His 3.38 ERA ranked 14th in the AL, and he threw a career-high 228 2/3 innings.
As for his contract, Santana will earn $11.2 million next year. There’s also a $13 million club option for 2013. He’d become a free agent if that’s declined.
In return for Santana, the Angels would likely prefer an established corner infielder capable of hitting in the middle of the order. Boston’s Kevin Youkilis would make sense. Florida’s Gaby Sanchez probably wouldn’t fit the bill, though Logan Morrison might.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)