Dec 6, 2011, 11:30 PM EDT
It’s deja vu all over again.
A day after the report that the White Sox asked the Yankees for Jesus Montero and Manny Banuelos in return for John Danks comes word from Bob Klapisch that the A’s wanted the same package in Gio Gonzalez trade talks.
Which at least is somewhat justifiable. Gonzalez is better than Danks, plus he’s a full four years away from free agency, making him a one of the game’s more valuable pitchers. Gonzalez has combined to go 31-21 while finishing with ERAs of 3.23 and 3.12 the last two years. Danks has never finished with an ERA that good, and he actually came in at 4.33 last season.
The Yankees still weren’t going to give up both for Gonzalez, but the A’s certainly have no reason to part with their young left-hander for much less. According to Klapisch, the A’s were willing to settle for Dellin Betances instead of Banuelos, but that still didn’t get a deal done.
The Royals, who can offer top outfield prospect Wil Myers and one of their better pitching prospects, have also expressed interest in Gonzalez. However, there’s nothing to indicate that anything will get done anytime soon.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)