Dec 6, 2011, 6:03 PM EDT
Transitioning baseball writer Jon Heyman (he’s taken SI.com out of his profile, but he’s still dishing the goods while his move to CBS Sports is in progress) tweets that the Marlins are going to limit themselves to one more splash:
Hearing marlins won’t do 2 more big free agents. If they get pujols they’ll be out on wilson/buehrle and trade for SP instead
He also wrote the following:
marlins will press to settle pujols 1 way or other by today or tomorrow. If no albert, they’ll go for wilson or buehrle
As things stand now, the Marlins have a rotation of Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez, Ricky Nolasco, Brad Hand and Chris Volstad. They do have quite a bit to barter with, though, even if they choose to keep Hanley Ramirez. Gaby Sanchez would be made expendable by a Pujols signing, and while third base prospect Matt Dominguez and former Rookie of the Year Chris Coghlan have seen their stock drop, they’d still have some value. Former closer Juan Carlos Oviedo, Nolasco and Volstad would also be available.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead