Dec 6, 2011, 12:14 AM EDT
Silly season is in full effect. Just hours after it was reported and quickly denied that C.J. Wilson had a six-year offer on the table from the Nationals, Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com hears that the Angels are making a “serious push” to sign the free agent left-hander. Ah, Winter Meetings.
Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported Monday afternoon that there are five teams in the mix for Wilson, including the Rangers, Angels, Marlins, Nationals and an unidentified “mystery team.” One of the five has reportedly made a six-year offer, though it’s not believed to be from either the Rangers or Nationals.
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington is scheduled to meet with Bob Garber, the agent for Wilson and Roy Oswalt this week, but he told Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com tonight that he is unlikely to pursue “top-tier” free agent starters.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 23
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 38
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)