Dec 6, 2011, 12:14 AM EDT
Silly season is in full effect. Just hours after it was reported and quickly denied that C.J. Wilson had a six-year offer on the table from the Nationals, Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com hears that the Angels are making a “serious push” to sign the free agent left-hander. Ah, Winter Meetings.
Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported Monday afternoon that there are five teams in the mix for Wilson, including the Rangers, Angels, Marlins, Nationals and an unidentified “mystery team.” One of the five has reportedly made a six-year offer, though it’s not believed to be from either the Rangers or Nationals.
Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington is scheduled to meet with Bob Garber, the agent for Wilson and Roy Oswalt this week, but he told Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com tonight that he is unlikely to pursue “top-tier” free agent starters.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 8
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)