Dec 6, 2011, 7:43 PM EDT
We learned earlier today that if the Marlins do indeed sign Albert Pujols, they’ll be out on free agent left-handers C.J. Wilson and Mark Buehrle and turn their focus on the trade market. The Marlins were already connected in talks for A’s left-hander Gio Gonzalez last month and Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com hears that they also have some interest in trade for Astros’ left-hander Wandy Rodriguez.
Rodriguez is due $10 million next season and $13 million in 2013. His contract includes a $13 million club option for 2014, but it becomes a player option in the event that he’s traded, so it essentially works out to a three-year, $36 million contract. Knobler reported yesterday that the Astros aren’t willing to cover any of his salary in a potential trade.
Rodriguez, who turns 33 in January, went 11-11 with a 3.09 ERA and a 166/69 K/BB ratio over 191 innings this season.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)