Dec 6, 2011, 7:43 PM EDT
We learned earlier today that if the Marlins do indeed sign Albert Pujols, they’ll be out on free agent left-handers C.J. Wilson and Mark Buehrle and turn their focus on the trade market. The Marlins were already connected in talks for A’s left-hander Gio Gonzalez last month and Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com hears that they also have some interest in trade for Astros’ left-hander Wandy Rodriguez.
Rodriguez is due $10 million next season and $13 million in 2013. His contract includes a $13 million club option for 2014, but it becomes a player option in the event that he’s traded, so it essentially works out to a three-year, $36 million contract. Knobler reported yesterday that the Astros aren’t willing to cover any of his salary in a potential trade.
Rodriguez, who turns 33 in January, went 11-11 with a 3.09 ERA and a 166/69 K/BB ratio over 191 innings this season.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)