Dec 6, 2011, 7:43 PM EDT
We learned earlier today that if the Marlins do indeed sign Albert Pujols, they’ll be out on free agent left-handers C.J. Wilson and Mark Buehrle and turn their focus on the trade market. The Marlins were already connected in talks for A’s left-hander Gio Gonzalez last month and Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com hears that they also have some interest in trade for Astros’ left-hander Wandy Rodriguez.
Rodriguez is due $10 million next season and $13 million in 2013. His contract includes a $13 million club option for 2014, but it becomes a player option in the event that he’s traded, so it essentially works out to a three-year, $36 million contract. Knobler reported yesterday that the Astros aren’t willing to cover any of his salary in a potential trade.
Rodriguez, who turns 33 in January, went 11-11 with a 3.09 ERA and a 166/69 K/BB ratio over 191 innings this season.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 19
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 99
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 102
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 81
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 96
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)