Dec 6, 2011, 7:43 PM EDT
We learned earlier today that if the Marlins do indeed sign Albert Pujols, they’ll be out on free agent left-handers C.J. Wilson and Mark Buehrle and turn their focus on the trade market. The Marlins were already connected in talks for A’s left-hander Gio Gonzalez last month and Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com hears that they also have some interest in trade for Astros’ left-hander Wandy Rodriguez.
Rodriguez is due $10 million next season and $13 million in 2013. His contract includes a $13 million club option for 2014, but it becomes a player option in the event that he’s traded, so it essentially works out to a three-year, $36 million contract. Knobler reported yesterday that the Astros aren’t willing to cover any of his salary in a potential trade.
Rodriguez, who turns 33 in January, went 11-11 with a 3.09 ERA and a 166/69 K/BB ratio over 191 innings this season.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)