The Red Sox are going to try to get Andrew Bailey from the A’s

Dec 6, 2011, 9:16 AM EDT

Andrew Bailey Getty Images

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe tweets that the Red Sox “will make an attempt” on A’s closer Andrew Bailey.

Interesting. The Sox are down a closer, obviously. I would assume that their interest in Bailey means that they’re afraid to give the job to Daniel Bard and aren’t sold on Bobby Jenks recovering from all which ailed him last year.

Earlier we heard that the Padres were interested. And to be honest, a ton of other teams probably are too given what closers are going for on the open market right now.  As a result, Billy Beane should be able to name his price for Bailey.

1. uyf1950 - Dec 6, 2011 at 9:34 AM

I’m not sure I understand the rational here for the Red Sox. Yes, Bailey from a salary standpoint will be inexpensive with this year being his 1st arbitration year. But as for using him as a closer I can’t see where he brings any more to the table than Bard does. Plus the fact Bailey is going to cost the Red Sox valuable trade pieces. Something one of the other FA closers won’t cost.

This move seems to be more about the Red Sox trying to save money and not wanting to go over the luxury tax threshold in 2012 then anything else. That’s just my opinion.

• JBerardi - Dec 6, 2011 at 9:48 AM

“But as for using him as a closer I can’t see where he brings any more to the table than Bard does.”

Regardless of who pitches what inning, more good relievers is better than fewer good relievers. The Red Sox had two elite guys in the bullpen last year and I’m sure they want at least that many in there next year. “Closers” don’t matter nearly as much as the overall makeup of the bullpen.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 6, 2011 at 9:54 AM

To put it another way, if you lose your best reliever, you force worse relievers into more high leverage situations. But adding more good relievers, you keep the bad ones in blowouts/long relief and let the good ones pitch the 7th/8th/9th innings.

Also, let’s not forget that of all the GM’s, Billy Beane understands the value of closers (or lack thereof). Depending on the prospects involved this trade could easily happen.

• uyf1950 - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I understand the concept. What escapes me here is that why give up trade pieces when they could have signed a FA yes for more money but not had to part with any players. There are several quality FA closers/relievers on the market that bring as much to the table as Bailey if not more. None of which would have cost the Red Sox players. The players they may have to part with now to make this deal happen won’t be available if say the Red Sox wanted to platoon in house personal in RF rather then go out and sign someone.

Like I said JBerardi, I understand the concept you’re talking about but other then this being a money saving deal it seems to me to be misguided. I think we all know the Beane won’t let Bailey go for simply retreads he’s going to want quality back.

I just think and it’s only my opinion that this is a deal the Red Sox don’t need to make unless it’s a cost saving measure..

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Some reasons off the top of my head:

FA Market is absurd this year with the contracts handed out. Sox have some holes to fill and might be going this route to save $.

Prospects aren’t guaranteed success, and Bailey is a known entity. Also, Sox don’t have the best prospects anymore (highest rated have been traded away and what’s left haven’t performed well).

• uyf1950 - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:31 AM

church…, I wasn’t implying “prospects” in my response or at least I didn’t mean to if that’s the way you took it. That’s why I specifically said “players”. I said players because by all accounts Beane is looking to replace his entire outfield. And to do that he needs “players” that have at the very least some big league experience and are cheap/inexpensive (like Reddick but maybe better).

In my opinion “prospects/unknowns” from the Red Sox aren’t going to make this deal happen because they don’t fill the need of Beane and the A’s for ML ready outfielders. At least that’s my opinion.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:48 AM

But Beane loves prospects because he can use them to trade for other players (he’s like Belicheck and draft picks). Even still, who on the Sox roster would be worthwhile for a trade? Lowrie can’t stay healthy, Reddick while still an unknown (SSS issues) might be Arb Eligible next year and is 25 as well, is there anyone else who’s young and tradeable?

2. proudlycanadian - Dec 6, 2011 at 9:35 AM

It sure has been a trying off season for the Red Sox. They may try to get Bailey, but I would be surprised if they get him.

• bozosforall - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Couldn’t be happening to a more “deserving” bunch of turds.

• skeleteeth - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Thumbs-up’ing yourself again?

• bozosforall - Dec 6, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Thumb up your ass again, skeleteeth? Lemme guess, the other one is in your mouth and you are playing “Switch”.

3. Ari Collins - Dec 6, 2011 at 9:36 AM

“they’re afraid to give the job to Daniel Bard”? More like, “they’d rather keep Bard’s arbitration costs down,” or, “they’d like to add a quality reliever regardless of roles,” or even, “they want to see if Bard can hack it as a starter.”

tl;dr: I resent your armchair psychology and MSM perception of closers

P.S. Ryan Madson would never have the closer’s mentality until he did.

• bozosforall - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Bard is a choker, just like his team. Perfect fit.

• bobwsc - Dec 6, 2011 at 11:02 AM

is it cold in your mom’s basement?

• cur68 - Dec 6, 2011 at 11:05 AM

You are a douche, just like your doucher comments. Perfect fir.

Hey! This template thing really works well…

• uyf1950 - Dec 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Ari, you have to think that if it is the intention of the Red Sox to put Bard in the starting rotation that they are are going to have to start to stretch him out. Considering that over the past 3 seasons the most innings he has pitched in any one season is about 75.

In my opinion considering the “health” concerns of Buchholz over the past years having 2 pitchers (Buchholz and Bard) that can’t be counted on for a full seasons starting pitchers (32 starts/about 200 innings) is flirting with disaster.

Even Beckett seems to be somewhat “snake bitten” on even years (2008 and 2010) durability wise. Just my opinion but the Red Sox could really use a solid #3 that can also give them Innings and lots of them. Mark Buehrle or Edwin Jackson or someone like that.

• Ari Collins - Dec 6, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Yes, I’m sure that they wouldn’t be counting on Bard for 200 innings. But they have guys who can eat up the innings, like Aceves. It’s still a good move, and they could build him up to 200 innings for 2013, if he works out in that role.

• bozosforall - Dec 6, 2011 at 3:59 PM

uyf…the Red Sux are in far worse shape than they will ever admit. “Vaunted” pitching staff in shambles…hitters injury-prone and aging fast…few prospects in the minors. The Yankees are far ahead of the Sux in both the short and the long term.

• bozosforall - Dec 6, 2011 at 3:57 PM

No, bob…but it’s warm in your mom’s bed.

4. frankvzappa - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:28 AM

If I never hear the name Bobby Jenks again it will be soon enough.

5. mdpickles - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:38 AM

No one wants Madson, huh?

• skeleteeth - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Yes, the Madson from the 2008 post-season, plz.

6. skeleteeth - Dec 6, 2011 at 10:54 AM

This pertains to my interests.

7. damnyankee13 - Dec 6, 2011 at 11:55 AM

The Red Sox right now is a soap opera. When they can climb out of the mess they wwere in, we shall see how they look. In my opinion, they do have some good talent.

• Ari Collins - Dec 6, 2011 at 1:35 PM

The Sox were a soap opera during last season. They seem like pretty much any other organization right now.

• wendell7 - Dec 6, 2011 at 1:48 PM

I don’t think their “mess” is going to require as much fixing as some others might. With the exception of the first 2 weeks and the final month of the season, they were the best team in baseball. Now, yes I understand every game counts, but they only missed the playoffs by 1 game even after the terrible final month they had. They still have one of the best teams in the game, I don’t see their situation being as dire as some would try to paint it.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5392)