Theo Epstein bought a $3.25 million house blocks from Wrigley Field

Dec 6, 2011, 3:50 PM EDT

Chicago Cubs President of Baseball Operations Theo Epstein speaks at a news conference at Wrigley Field in Chicago Reuters

Theo Epstein is putting his five-year, $20 million contract to work already, as Bob Goldsborough of the Chicago Tribune reports that the new Cubs president paid $3.25 million for a 7,800-square foot house “just blocks from Wrigley Field.”

Goldsborough writes that Chicago Blackhawks player Patrick Sharp had “signed a contract to buy the house” back in September, but backed out of the deal. Epstein stepped in and bought it for about $250,000 more than the original list price.

Epstein’s new place is a block away from Ryan Dempster‘s house, which the right-hander bought for $2.7 million in 2008. Maybe they can carpool to work.

(And this concludes my TMZ impersonation. Sorry.)

1. paperlions - Dec 6, 2011 at 3:57 PM

What does this have to do with Pujols signing with Miami?

• aceshigh11 - Dec 6, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Ha!

2. cup0pizza - Dec 6, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Uuhhhh…..neat?

3. Kyle - Dec 6, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Total power move. Walking to work, baby.

4. profootballwalk - Dec 6, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Now when he gets pissed at them, he can walk home in his gorilla suit.

5. mojosmagic - Dec 6, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Anybody else feeling Theo Epstein fatigue? Somehow this is big winter meeting news that Theo bought a house in the city he works? I thought he might stay in Bean Town and commute to work in Chicago.

• jwbiii - Dec 6, 2011 at 11:21 PM

Because that worked so well for J.P. Ricciardi?

6. chitownmatt - Dec 6, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Stop the Press…
    Theo bought a house….

Wow, this would have been interesting news a month and a half ago BEFORE he publicly agreed to take the job.

But, now??? Come on?

• foreverchipper10 - Dec 7, 2011 at 3:08 PM

A real estate purchase doesn’t always signify something. Urban Meyer purchased property in Boulsboro which is about a 10 minute drive from Beaver Stadium. Last I checked he did not take the Penn State job.

7. Francisco (FC) - Dec 6, 2011 at 5:05 PM

I still find it amusing how every move Chicago makes is traced directly to Theo, I mean, Jed Hoyer is the GM right? But he might as well be invisible to the media… Hoyer must be happy working for Theo but I just wonder if he just spent years climbing to the top and really clawed his way to the bottom (in the shadow of Theo)

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 6, 2011 at 5:14 PM

It’s not Theo’s fault he’s a media darling. Plus, giving more press to a guy managing a poor San Diego team for a year or two isn’t as interesting to the general press as the guy who helped give Boston two World Series championships.

I think Hoyer’s great and both deserve equal props, but to the media, it’s all about Theo right now, and playing Devil’s Advocate, I can understand why.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 6, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Plus, any well-versed Cub fan realizes just how huge it is to have a guy like Theo running the team. He’s the best guy for the job that’s had the job in generations. Literally, generations.

8. mojosmagic - Dec 6, 2011 at 6:22 PM

I will be the first to give Theo props when he does something!

9. aceshigh11 - Dec 6, 2011 at 6:35 PM

It’s good to be the king.

10. tone360 - Dec 6, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I’ll probably piss on his stairs on the way home… I wonder where he now stands on fighting for more night games. One of the core reasons we don’t win.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4004)