Dec 6, 2011, 3:28 PM EDT
For an outsider like me, it’s hard to see just what it is about Kevin Slowey that causes all of the bulging neck veins at the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. But it seems like the entire Twins press box is rejoicing his departure in this morning’s trade with the Rockies.
Slowey, we hardly knew ye. Oh, wait, yes we did. That’s why Twins traded the jerk for a boiled hot dog and a used spit cup.
Souhan later followed the comment with a note about how last year Slowey told Joe Mauer he “didn’t have to be accountable, didn’t have to talk about injuries.”
Which is what a lot of this comes down to: people don’t like people who make their jobs more difficult.
John Shipley of the St. Paul Pioneer Press also had some unflattering twitter comments, since redacted.
The only real surprise about today’s trade is that it took so long to happen. Slowey had been in the doghouse for at least a year, and while he might have had a little trade value last winter, the Twins pretty much gave him away now. Colorado isn’t the right place for Slowey to turn his career around, given that he’s a pretty extreme flyball pitcher, but he should benefit from the new start in more ways than one.
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 0
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 5
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 40
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (107)