Dec 6, 2011, 3:28 PM EDT
For an outsider like me, it’s hard to see just what it is about Kevin Slowey that causes all of the bulging neck veins at the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. But it seems like the entire Twins press box is rejoicing his departure in this morning’s trade with the Rockies.
Slowey, we hardly knew ye. Oh, wait, yes we did. That’s why Twins traded the jerk for a boiled hot dog and a used spit cup.
Souhan later followed the comment with a note about how last year Slowey told Joe Mauer he “didn’t have to be accountable, didn’t have to talk about injuries.”
Which is what a lot of this comes down to: people don’t like people who make their jobs more difficult.
John Shipley of the St. Paul Pioneer Press also had some unflattering twitter comments, since redacted.
The only real surprise about today’s trade is that it took so long to happen. Slowey had been in the doghouse for at least a year, and while he might have had a little trade value last winter, the Twins pretty much gave him away now. Colorado isn’t the right place for Slowey to turn his career around, given that he’s a pretty extreme flyball pitcher, but he should benefit from the new start in more ways than one.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 8
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (86)