Dec 6, 2011, 3:28 PM EST
For an outsider like me, it’s hard to see just what it is about Kevin Slowey that causes all of the bulging neck veins at the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. But it seems like the entire Twins press box is rejoicing his departure in this morning’s trade with the Rockies.
Slowey, we hardly knew ye. Oh, wait, yes we did. That’s why Twins traded the jerk for a boiled hot dog and a used spit cup.
Souhan later followed the comment with a note about how last year Slowey told Joe Mauer he “didn’t have to be accountable, didn’t have to talk about injuries.”
Which is what a lot of this comes down to: people don’t like people who make their jobs more difficult.
John Shipley of the St. Paul Pioneer Press also had some unflattering twitter comments, since redacted.
The only real surprise about today’s trade is that it took so long to happen. Slowey had been in the doghouse for at least a year, and while he might have had a little trade value last winter, the Twins pretty much gave him away now. Colorado isn’t the right place for Slowey to turn his career around, given that he’s a pretty extreme flyball pitcher, but he should benefit from the new start in more ways than one.
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 6
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 3
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 27
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)