Dec 6, 2011, 5:55 PM EDT
UPDATE II: Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston was told by a Red Sox official that they did not post a bid for Nakajima. That makes three denials, if you include the Giants and Brewers. Does anybody want this guy? We’ll soon find out.
UPDATE: Nothing confirmed yet, but Sponichi indicates that the Red Sox may have the top bid for Nakajima. We should know officially within the next 24 hours.
12:15 PM: Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker passes along word from the Japanese media that the Seibu Lions will accept the highest bid for Hiroyuki Nakajima and that an official announcement is expected tomorrow.
If the highest bid is indeed accepted, the winning team will be granted an exclusive 30-day negotiating window to agree on a contract.
No word on who may have submitted a bid, but the Giants and Brewers have been ruled out. Mets manager Terry Collins hinted last night that he would love to have Nakajima in his lineup, though that was likely some wishful thinking on his part after losing shortstop Jose Reyes to the Marlins.
Nakajima, a 29-year-old shortstop, is a .302 career hitter in Japan and has surpassed at least 16 home runs and 15 stolen bases in each of the last four seasons. He batted .297/.354/.433 with 16 home runs, 100 RBI and 21 stolen bases this past season.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)