Dec 6, 2011, 5:55 PM EST
UPDATE II: Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston was told by a Red Sox official that they did not post a bid for Nakajima. That makes three denials, if you include the Giants and Brewers. Does anybody want this guy? We’ll soon find out.
UPDATE: Nothing confirmed yet, but Sponichi indicates that the Red Sox may have the top bid for Nakajima. We should know officially within the next 24 hours.
12:15 PM: Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker passes along word from the Japanese media that the Seibu Lions will accept the highest bid for Hiroyuki Nakajima and that an official announcement is expected tomorrow.
If the highest bid is indeed accepted, the winning team will be granted an exclusive 30-day negotiating window to agree on a contract.
No word on who may have submitted a bid, but the Giants and Brewers have been ruled out. Mets manager Terry Collins hinted last night that he would love to have Nakajima in his lineup, though that was likely some wishful thinking on his part after losing shortstop Jose Reyes to the Marlins.
Nakajima, a 29-year-old shortstop, is a .302 career hitter in Japan and has surpassed at least 16 home runs and 15 stolen bases in each of the last four seasons. He batted .297/.354/.433 with 16 home runs, 100 RBI and 21 stolen bases this past season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)