Dec 7, 2011, 9:41 PM EDT
The Brewers and Rockies have also expressed interest in recent weeks, but it sounds as though Anaheim’s offer will ultimately prove victorious.
Hawkins, 38, posted a sparkling 2.42 ERA and 1.24 WHIP in 48 1/3 innings for the NL Central-champion Brewers this past season, striking out 28 batters and walking only 10. The Angels will hope that he can serve as a reliable setup man — and mentor — to young closer Jordan Walden in 2012.
UPDATE: The Orange County Register‘s Bill Plunkett says the two sides have reached agreement.
UPDATE II: According to Scott Miller of CBS Sports, the deal is worth $3 million for one year.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)