Dec 7, 2011, 9:41 PM EST
The Brewers and Rockies have also expressed interest in recent weeks, but it sounds as though Anaheim’s offer will ultimately prove victorious.
Hawkins, 38, posted a sparkling 2.42 ERA and 1.24 WHIP in 48 1/3 innings for the NL Central-champion Brewers this past season, striking out 28 batters and walking only 10. The Angels will hope that he can serve as a reliable setup man — and mentor — to young closer Jordan Walden in 2012.
UPDATE: The Orange County Register‘s Bill Plunkett says the two sides have reached agreement.
UPDATE II: According to Scott Miller of CBS Sports, the deal is worth $3 million for one year.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (284)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)