Dec 7, 2011, 9:41 PM EST
The Brewers and Rockies have also expressed interest in recent weeks, but it sounds as though Anaheim’s offer will ultimately prove victorious.
Hawkins, 38, posted a sparkling 2.42 ERA and 1.24 WHIP in 48 1/3 innings for the NL Central-champion Brewers this past season, striking out 28 batters and walking only 10. The Angels will hope that he can serve as a reliable setup man — and mentor — to young closer Jordan Walden in 2012.
UPDATE: The Orange County Register‘s Bill Plunkett says the two sides have reached agreement.
UPDATE II: According to Scott Miller of CBS Sports, the deal is worth $3 million for one year.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)