Dec 7, 2011, 9:41 PM EDT
The Brewers and Rockies have also expressed interest in recent weeks, but it sounds as though Anaheim’s offer will ultimately prove victorious.
Hawkins, 38, posted a sparkling 2.42 ERA and 1.24 WHIP in 48 1/3 innings for the NL Central-champion Brewers this past season, striking out 28 batters and walking only 10. The Angels will hope that he can serve as a reliable setup man — and mentor — to young closer Jordan Walden in 2012.
UPDATE: The Orange County Register‘s Bill Plunkett says the two sides have reached agreement.
UPDATE II: According to Scott Miller of CBS Sports, the deal is worth $3 million for one year.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 0
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 5
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 28
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 4
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit