Dec 7, 2011, 1:15 AM EST
1:15 a.m. EST update: Danny Knobler of CBS Sports reports that the Phillies have dropped out of the bidding for Aramis Ramirez, leaving the Brewers and Angels as the top contenders to sign the third baseman. According to Knobler, the Phillies have decided to keep Placido Polanco as their third baseman and make another run at re-signing Jimmy Rollins.
Klinzer is seeking a three-year deal for Ramirez and said his client is interested in what the Brewers have to offer. The Phillies and Angels appear to be the other primary suitors for Ramirez, who is far and away the top third baseman available in free agency.
If the Brewers can sign Ramirez, they’d make Casey McGehee available in trade talks. They could even non-tender McGehee, though odds are that a team looking for a less expensive third baseman would be interested. Seattle is one possibility there.
Ramirez hit .306/.361/.510 with 26 homers and 93 RBI for the Cubs last season. A career National Leaguer, he’s had four 30-homer seasons and gone to two All-Star Games. He would have been a late pick to go to a third last season, but he opted to return home to the Dominican Republic instead.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)