Dec 7, 2011, 1:15 AM EDT
1:15 a.m. EST update: Danny Knobler of CBS Sports reports that the Phillies have dropped out of the bidding for Aramis Ramirez, leaving the Brewers and Angels as the top contenders to sign the third baseman. According to Knobler, the Phillies have decided to keep Placido Polanco as their third baseman and make another run at re-signing Jimmy Rollins.
Klinzer is seeking a three-year deal for Ramirez and said his client is interested in what the Brewers have to offer. The Phillies and Angels appear to be the other primary suitors for Ramirez, who is far and away the top third baseman available in free agency.
If the Brewers can sign Ramirez, they’d make Casey McGehee available in trade talks. They could even non-tender McGehee, though odds are that a team looking for a less expensive third baseman would be interested. Seattle is one possibility there.
Ramirez hit .306/.361/.510 with 26 homers and 93 RBI for the Cubs last season. A career National Leaguer, he’s had four 30-homer seasons and gone to two All-Star Games. He would have been a late pick to go to a third last season, but he opted to return home to the Dominican Republic instead.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)