Dec 7, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
That presumably means the Rangers made a strong push to re-sign Wilson, but Garber declined to tell Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas if an actual offer was made and Durrett speculates that the Rangers might not be willing to give out a five-year deal, let alone the six-year contract Wilson is reportedly hoping for.
Another factor is that the Marlins’ interest in Wilson likely hinges on whether they sign Albert Pujols. If they land Pujols that would presumably mean Miami’s wallet will finally slam shut, but if Pujols stays in St. Louis there’s lots of speculation that the Marlins will throw a bunch of that money in Wilson’s direction.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 43
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 84
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)