Dec 7, 2011, 10:45 AM EST
That doesn’t preclude Pena from eventually re-signing with the Cubs, but it means he expects to do better than a one-year deal for around $10 million on the open market.
Pena hit just .225 this year, but smacked 28 homers and drew 101 walks to end up with a solid .357 on-base percentage and .462 slugging percentage. And his .819 OPS was nearly the same as his .838 career mark while ranking 10th among the 20 first basemen with 500-plus plate appearances.
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 4
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 133
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 42
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 371
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (370)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (131)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (86)