Dec 7, 2011, 1:55 PM EDT
Trading Carlos Gonzalez and Brett Anderson to Oakland for Dan Haren after the 2007 season proved to be quite a setback for Arizona, but now it looks like the Diamondbacks are at it again, as they’re making a run at acquiring either Gio Gonzalez or Trevor Cahill from the A’s.
A’s GM Billy Beane will want the same kind of package he got for Haren four years ago. Gonzalez is arbitration eligible for the first time, but he’s still four years away from free agency. Cahill is locked up to a $30.5 million contract through 2015 with team options for 2016 and ’17.
The Diamondbacks probably wouldn’t have possessed the talent to get either a couple of years ago, but they’ve rebuilt their farm system on the fly. Possessing two top-10 picks in the 2011 draft helped a bunch, as they were able to add two very promising right-handers in Trevor Bauer and Archie Bradley. Those two can’t be traded yet, but their presence does make Jarrod Parker and Tyler Skaggs more expendable. Parker was long Arizona’s top pitching prospect before being overtaken by Bauer. Skaggs was the top prospect the Diamondbacks got back when they sent Haren to Anaheim in 2010.
The A’s would probably ask for both Parker and Skaggs in a Gonzalez or Cahill trade. Other names likely to come up include left-handers Wade Miley, David Holmberg and Patrick Corbin and outfielders A.J. Pollock and Bobby Borchering.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead