Greetings from Day 3 of the Winter Meetings

Dec 7, 2011, 8:13 AM EDT

In N Out

In-N-Out in Dallas?  Who knew?  Baseball writers, that’s who. You could put them on an island in some far flung sea and they’d be able to find an In-N-Out Burger.  It’s just what they do.

I felt obligated to go anyway. The lobby was getting to be too much for me last night.  The first 200 conversations that began with “so, who do you think the Mystery Team is?” were endurable but it got slightly less so as the evening wore on. Sometimes you just need a cheeseburger in that situation.

Not that anyone could or should think that Pujols talk was avoidable. He has dominated the first two days of the Winter Meetings, for obvious reasons. He’s huge. No one else is doing anything. And oh my God, the Marlins.

Maybe the Marlins with some hubris, too: they spread the word yesterday that they wanted a decision from Pujols last night. Well, it’s 7AM here and he’s still a free agent. As if they were going to pull their offer because of an arbitrary deadline.  It’s like they’re trying to steal someone’s wife and are forcing her to run off with them tonight lest she think too hard about what she’s doing and change her mind. Albert will decide on Albert’s time.

Otherwise, in the event that, unlike me, you went to bed at a decent hour, wake up this morning to the knowledge that the Tigers are interested in Gio Gonzalez, though the A’s are apparently asking a mint.  The Mariners are maintaining their pursuit of Prince Fielder. The Mets paid what seems like way too damn much money for Frank Francisco.  Sandy Alderson seemed like a guy who understood supply and demand, but I suppose not. He isn’t the first GM to go reliever crazy this winter.

Pujols has to sign today, right? I mean, he can’t keep teasing us all like this, can he?  Either way, we’ll be on the case again. Keep HBT up all day. Your boss will understand. This is serious business.

1. Francisco (FC) - Dec 7, 2011 at 8:39 AM

Craig prepped in front of his mirror, looking sharp in a tuxedo (with a Braves pin on the lapel). The 4 room suite was merely adequate (the TV was barely 60″ and NO voice commands! ugh!). Too bad Tiffany wasn’t available but NBC Sports sent a contractor from a security firm, a short chubby guy that was looking harried as he set up everything from his bag.

“Sir,” he said. “It’s all ready. The briefcase has a hidden camera and voice recorder that can be activated by the side button on the left here. The sensitivity is good enough that within a ten foot radius you should be able to get details from low voice conversations and whispers.”

Craig took the brief. “Should be handy as I listen in on the Theos, Alexes, Sandies and Rubens of the world.”

“This watch has a tracking device. The transmitter is this small pin.” He handed the pin to Craig.

“I’ll probably stick it on Lozano, gotta keep track of this sleaze. Safer than trying to track Pujols directly.”

“And your specs have been upgraded with a limited zoom capability.”

“That will be handy as I try to get any contract details and specifics on any pieces of paper people might be carrying or set on a conference room. This is all good.”

“Sir, I’m still confused, are you doing some sort of government work?”

“Government?” Craig had a hearty chuckle. “No my good man, I’m doing something far more important. I’m heading to the last day of the Baseball Winter Meetings.”

• lawnovel - Dec 7, 2011 at 11:22 AM

That’s the kind of fan fiction you worry is going to end with someone getting tenderly ravaged by Derek Jeter.

2. Jonny 5 - Dec 7, 2011 at 8:57 AM

That’s not a burger Mate. This is a burger… (in my best Dundee accent)

• kiwicricket - Dec 7, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Displaying antipodean movie knowledge before 9am. Top marks Sir.

• StayAnchoredinHope - Dec 7, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I’ll agree…living where we have both an In-and-Out and Five Guys, my vote goes to Five Guys for sure. In-and-Out kicks ass too, but Five Guys is better.

3. hotkarlsandwich - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:08 AM

ANIMAL STYLE!

4. ukcardsfan - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:10 AM

Ridiculously jealous, you guys have the best jobs in the world….

5. dasher521 - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Finally had my first In-N-Out Burger last fall. I’ll still take a 5 Guys, not necessarily the same menu item Jonny5 linked.

6. eltex - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:46 AM

I don’t see the reason for all the In-n-out love. It doesn’t compare to five guys at all. I was pretty disappointed when I ate there. I thought the fries being cut so fresh would be a great thing, but they were just so-so.

• dasher521 - Dec 7, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Best fries, fast food version – Nathans.

7. cur68 - Dec 7, 2011 at 10:53 AM

HA! Everyone in Western Canada knows the BEST burgers are Vera Burgers. You Can’t Beat Vera’s Meat…

8. azvikefan - Dec 7, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Great burgers but their fries SUCK! Never had 5 Guys but they are now in AZ.

9. JBerardi - Dec 7, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Those are good burgers, Walter.

10. wlubake - Dec 7, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Skip In-N-Out in Dallas and go get Twisted Root.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3116)