Dec 7, 2011, 3:12 PM EST
4:50 p.m. EST update: Ken Rosenthal says Buerhle is going to the Marlins — four years, $58 million.
3:10 p.m. EST update: ESPN’s Jayson Stark reports that the Nationals are another one of the three finalists for Buehrle, joining the Marlins. Several clubs believe the Rangers are the third. That would leave the Cardinals out of the mix, but the Cardinals weren’t likely to have the money for both he and Albert Pujols anyway.
Mark Buehrle‘s list of potential destinations has dropped from five to three, and while the puzzle is still missing a few pieces, Juan Rodriguez of The Sun-Sentinel has confirmed that the Marlins are one of them.
The Nationals, Cardinals and Rangers have also been looked at as strong contenders for Buehrle, while the Angels now appear to have turned their attention towards C.J. Wilson. A return to the White Sox appears highly unlikely.
The 32-year-old Buehrle is seeking a four-year deal worth approximately $14 million per year. A lifetime 161-119 pitcher, he’ll bring a streak of 11 straight seasons with at least 200 innings pitched to his new team.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 48
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 40
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)