Dec 7, 2011, 3:12 PM EDT
4:50 p.m. EST update: Ken Rosenthal says Buerhle is going to the Marlins — four years, $58 million.
3:10 p.m. EST update: ESPN’s Jayson Stark reports that the Nationals are another one of the three finalists for Buehrle, joining the Marlins. Several clubs believe the Rangers are the third. That would leave the Cardinals out of the mix, but the Cardinals weren’t likely to have the money for both he and Albert Pujols anyway.
Mark Buehrle‘s list of potential destinations has dropped from five to three, and while the puzzle is still missing a few pieces, Juan Rodriguez of The Sun-Sentinel has confirmed that the Marlins are one of them.
The Nationals, Cardinals and Rangers have also been looked at as strong contenders for Buehrle, while the Angels now appear to have turned their attention towards C.J. Wilson. A return to the White Sox appears highly unlikely.
The 32-year-old Buehrle is seeking a four-year deal worth approximately $14 million per year. A lifetime 161-119 pitcher, he’ll bring a streak of 11 straight seasons with at least 200 innings pitched to his new team.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (354)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (195)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)