Dec 7, 2011, 3:12 PM EDT
4:50 p.m. EST update: Ken Rosenthal says Buerhle is going to the Marlins — four years, $58 million.
3:10 p.m. EST update: ESPN’s Jayson Stark reports that the Nationals are another one of the three finalists for Buehrle, joining the Marlins. Several clubs believe the Rangers are the third. That would leave the Cardinals out of the mix, but the Cardinals weren’t likely to have the money for both he and Albert Pujols anyway.
Mark Buehrle‘s list of potential destinations has dropped from five to three, and while the puzzle is still missing a few pieces, Juan Rodriguez of The Sun-Sentinel has confirmed that the Marlins are one of them.
The Nationals, Cardinals and Rangers have also been looked at as strong contenders for Buehrle, while the Angels now appear to have turned their attention towards C.J. Wilson. A return to the White Sox appears highly unlikely.
The 32-year-old Buehrle is seeking a four-year deal worth approximately $14 million per year. A lifetime 161-119 pitcher, he’ll bring a streak of 11 straight seasons with at least 200 innings pitched to his new team.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 8
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 17
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)