MLB issues dress code for media members

Dec 7, 2011, 9:09 AM EDT

Male model

I suppose this applies to me too. But seriously,  this is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it’s a symbol of my individuality, and my belief … in personal freedom:

Baseball has become the first major pro league in North America to issue dress guidelines for media members, putting them in writing at the winter meetings. The no-wear list also includes visible undergarments, excessively short skirts or anything with a team logo.

“This is not in response to any single incident,” MLB spokesman Pat Courtney said Tuesday.

That sound you hear is every single baseball writer I’ve ever met breathing a sigh of relief over the fact that the dress code doesn’t prohibit pleated Dockers. That would be chaos.

Ain’t gonna lie, though: I’m probably more out of compliance than anyone. The threads are just fine, but I’ve been rocking my block-C Indians cap all week here at the Winter Meetings. It’s freezing and my bald head needs protection. I suppose it’s a bit bush league to wear MLB merchandise when I’m on the job, but it beats hypothermia.

1. Francisco (FC) - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:15 AM

But we’re all sure MLB included an exception clause for bathrobes and bubble pipes…

2. umrguy42 - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:18 AM

You need to get yourself a Toledo Mud Hens hat then. Or maybe a St. Louis Browns hat – what if it’s no longer an “active” team logo? Lots of options, Pilots, Colt .45s, Senators… :D

• acuraf12 - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Or an 80’s style Expos hat – awesome.

• umrguy42 - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:55 AM

I *knew* I was forgetting one! A Devil Rays hat might still be too close, though.

• paperlions - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Colt 45s changed their name because of a copyright lawsuit (or threat of one), so it is probably impossible to find a hat, unless the Colt family has endorsed it.

• Max Power - Dec 7, 2011 at 11:16 AM

I have a Colt .45’s hat. You can get one here:

I’m not sure whether there’s an arrangement with the Colt firearms companies, but I do know that if Samuel Colt was still around he wouldn’t settle disputes with threats of trademark litigation.

3. phukyouk - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:18 AM

” excessively short skirts”

WHAT.THE.FUCK!

• gammagammahey - Dec 7, 2011 at 10:51 AM

This is in response to an unfortunate incident featuring Jon Heyman walking over a subway grate.

• phukyouk - Dec 7, 2011 at 11:21 AM

literally just spit Seltzer out of my nose in the middle of a meeting.. thank you! i may be joining the unemployed today but at least it got a laugh

4. unclemosesgreen - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Strange, I pictured you in the lobby with an Indiana Jones safari hat and matching bullwhip ensemble.

5. catsmeat - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:26 AM

Craig, considering how much you troll the Phillies fanbase, how you didn’t end up using this photograph as your stock “fashion” photo is beyond me.

6. cmutimmah - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:27 AM

What’s the policy on booby tassels?

7. hammyofdoom - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:27 AM

The fact they made sure to say this isn’t about a specific incident leads me to believe it probably is. I picture some dude in a short skirt, thong hangin’ out the back wearing a team Jersey and wandering around drunkenly in the lobby until they manage to take him down with sedative darts.

8. beinhorntwins - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:28 AM

good thing erin andrews doesn’t report baseball

• gammagammahey - Dec 7, 2011 at 10:53 AM

That’s not a picture of Erin Andrews.

9. eshine76 - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:36 AM

You better return those assless chaps…

• paperlions - Dec 7, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Chaps are assless by definition, leggings that also cover your ass are called pants.

• kiwicricket - Dec 7, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I think you might of thought about this before, PL….

• eshine76 - Dec 7, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I don’t own any, so I appreciate your expertise on the subject.

• cur68 - Dec 7, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Anyone who rides motorbikes probably has some or thinks about getting some. No one likes cold legs and a sweaty butt. Chaps are the answer. And yeah, no need for the redundant term ‘assless’. Unless you just like to type “assless”, then carry on. I don’t judge.

10. sdelmonte - Dec 7, 2011 at 9:37 AM

The team logos makes sense at some level. Though it’s really not anyone’s business if a blogger roots for a team. And it’s the concern of an editor and not the league if a paid (supposedly objective) reporter roots for a team.

The other things? As a prude, I don’t like exposed underwear, etc. But that is again my opinion and not anyone else’s I might not like something, but I don’t think MLB really should have the authority to enforce clothing morality. Though I am afraid, as a private organization, they do have the right.

11. Lukehart80 - Dec 7, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Don’t give in Craig! SOMEONE has got to represent the Indians at these meetings, even if it’s not an actual Indians’ fan!

12. kiwicricket - Dec 7, 2011 at 10:25 AM

You see gentlemen….persistence is the key. A fashion related posting, and it’s tremendous.

• pauleee - Dec 7, 2011 at 11:24 AM

A fashion related posting, and it’s FABULOUS.

FTFY

• cur68 - Dec 7, 2011 at 11:39 AM

In kiwi’s neck of the woods I think they use the term “fabbo”, FYI.

13. kiwicricket - Dec 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Slightly curious as to how Craig sought out, and decided upon the main picture in this post…..

14. mojosmagic - Dec 7, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Never could figure out why most writers look like got their clothes at a Goodwill finale clearance.

15. nelsonsaint - Dec 7, 2011 at 10:35 AM

This won’t happen, at least not in our lifetime.

And by then, they’ll be driving Buicks to the moon.

16. ThatGuy - Dec 7, 2011 at 10:57 AM

Does this mean Heyman can’t wear his Scott Boras Team Jersey?

• Utley's Hair - Dec 7, 2011 at 3:46 PM

It’s a Mystery Team jersey with Boras’ name on the back.

17. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Dec 7, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Dang it. I was so looking forward to Craig in an excessively short skirt that shows off lacy panties with a Braves logo on the side.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 7, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Thanks…I just threw up in my mouth. Though his pasty-whiteness could very well help by blinding you before any permanent damage is suffered.

18. docktorellis - Dec 7, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Yes. LOVE the Wild at Heart reference. Ten points, Craig.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3590)