Dec 7, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT
Under the old free agent system, the Mets would have gotten the Marlins’ third-round pick next summer (plus a compensation pick between the first and second rounds) for losing Jose Reyes. MLB, though, is still working through this whole draft-pick compensation thing after the new CBA, and let it be known today that the Mets will get the Marlins’ second-rounder instead.
The Marlins’ second-rounder was supposed to go to San Diego for Heath Bell. That’s because Bell placed higher than Reyes in the Elias Rankings, which, until a couple of weeks ago, had been the determining factor when it came to free agent compensation. The Marlins couldn’t lose their first-rounder since, as one of the league’s bottom 15 teams last season, that pick was protected.
Now the Padres will get a newly created pick just before the Marlins’ scheduled second-round pick as part of the compensation for Bell. The Mets are due the second-rounder…. for now anyway. There’s no word yet on what will happen if the Marlins sign Albert Pujols or Prince Fielder. Previously, such a move would have knocked the Mets’ pick from the third round down to the fourth round.
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 1
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 74
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)