Dec 7, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT
Under the old free agent system, the Mets would have gotten the Marlins’ third-round pick next summer (plus a compensation pick between the first and second rounds) for losing Jose Reyes. MLB, though, is still working through this whole draft-pick compensation thing after the new CBA, and let it be known today that the Mets will get the Marlins’ second-rounder instead.
The Marlins’ second-rounder was supposed to go to San Diego for Heath Bell. That’s because Bell placed higher than Reyes in the Elias Rankings, which, until a couple of weeks ago, had been the determining factor when it came to free agent compensation. The Marlins couldn’t lose their first-rounder since, as one of the league’s bottom 15 teams last season, that pick was protected.
Now the Padres will get a newly created pick just before the Marlins’ scheduled second-round pick as part of the compensation for Bell. The Mets are due the second-rounder…. for now anyway. There’s no word yet on what will happen if the Marlins sign Albert Pujols or Prince Fielder. Previously, such a move would have knocked the Mets’ pick from the third round down to the fourth round.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 52
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 11
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 46
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)