Dec 7, 2011, 6:09 PM EDT
A source told Kilgore that the Nationals failed to match the Marlins’ four-year, $58 million bid for Buehrle in either years or salary, suggesting that they were at something closer to $40 million for three years.
That’s a deal Oswalt would be happy with, though it’s unclear whether the Nationals see the two as equals. Oswalt probably offers a bit more upside, but his chronic back woes make him a risky signing. While Buehrle has pitched 200 innings in 11 straight seasons, Oswalt has fallen short of that mark in two of the last three. Last year, he went 9-10 with a 3.69 ERA in 139 innings for the Phillies.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)