Dec 7, 2011, 6:09 PM EDT
A source told Kilgore that the Nationals failed to match the Marlins’ four-year, $58 million bid for Buehrle in either years or salary, suggesting that they were at something closer to $40 million for three years.
That’s a deal Oswalt would be happy with, though it’s unclear whether the Nationals see the two as equals. Oswalt probably offers a bit more upside, but his chronic back woes make him a risky signing. While Buehrle has pitched 200 innings in 11 straight seasons, Oswalt has fallen short of that mark in two of the last three. Last year, he went 9-10 with a 3.69 ERA in 139 innings for the Phillies.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)