Dec 7, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
5:30 p.m. EST update: Pretty much everyone is shutting this down now. Rollins still appears likely to re-sign with the Phillies, but there hasn’t been any agreement.
5:15 p.m. EST update: ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark, who still has very strong Phillies sources after all of his time in Philly, doesn’t believe that a Rollins deal is done just yet.
5:05 p.m. EST update: SiriusXM’s Jim Duquette reports that the Phillies and Rollins have agreed to terms.
1:00 p.m. EST update: Jon Heyman reports that Rollins’ return to Philly is likely to happen, but that it’s still being worked on. The contract will probably be for three or four years, perhaps with the fourth year in the form of a vesting option.
The Brewers are hearing that Jimmy Rollins is going to re-sign with the Phillies, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Tom Haudricourt, and they’ve started to turn back towards their other shortstop options.
ESPN’s Chris Singleton tweets something similar, saying he received a “pretty encouraging report from a Phillies person that a deal will get done.”
The pieces definitely fit, especially in light of the report late last night that the Phillies were out of the running for Aramis Ramirez. There was no way they were going to sign both Ramirez and Rollins. Now the Brewers might sign Ramirez and bring back Yuniesky Betancourt to play shortstop.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)