Dec 7, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
5:30 p.m. EST update: Pretty much everyone is shutting this down now. Rollins still appears likely to re-sign with the Phillies, but there hasn’t been any agreement.
5:15 p.m. EST update: ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark, who still has very strong Phillies sources after all of his time in Philly, doesn’t believe that a Rollins deal is done just yet.
5:05 p.m. EST update: SiriusXM’s Jim Duquette reports that the Phillies and Rollins have agreed to terms.
1:00 p.m. EST update: Jon Heyman reports that Rollins’ return to Philly is likely to happen, but that it’s still being worked on. The contract will probably be for three or four years, perhaps with the fourth year in the form of a vesting option.
The Brewers are hearing that Jimmy Rollins is going to re-sign with the Phillies, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Tom Haudricourt, and they’ve started to turn back towards their other shortstop options.
ESPN’s Chris Singleton tweets something similar, saying he received a “pretty encouraging report from a Phillies person that a deal will get done.”
The pieces definitely fit, especially in light of the report late last night that the Phillies were out of the running for Aramis Ramirez. There was no way they were going to sign both Ramirez and Rollins. Now the Brewers might sign Ramirez and bring back Yuniesky Betancourt to play shortstop.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 39
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 93
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)