Dec 7, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Cody Ross has little chance of securing the three-year contract he’s reportedly seeking, but Reds general manager Walt Jocketty admitted today that he plans to speak to the outfielder’s agent about a possible deal.
Jocketty called Ross “an interesting name” and indicated to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that it would have to be a short-term deal, presumably meaning one year or one year plus an option for 2013.
Ross predictably resumed being a mediocre hitter after his out of nowhere playoff breakout in 2010, but he’s a right-handed bat with 20-homer power and enough range to play center field in a pinch.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)