Dec 7, 2011, 4:46 PM EST
Cody Ross has little chance of securing the three-year contract he’s reportedly seeking, but Reds general manager Walt Jocketty admitted today that he plans to speak to the outfielder’s agent about a possible deal.
Jocketty called Ross “an interesting name” and indicated to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that it would have to be a short-term deal, presumably meaning one year or one year plus an option for 2013.
Ross predictably resumed being a mediocre hitter after his out of nowhere playoff breakout in 2010, but he’s a right-handed bat with 20-homer power and enough range to play center field in a pinch.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)