Dec 7, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Cody Ross has little chance of securing the three-year contract he’s reportedly seeking, but Reds general manager Walt Jocketty admitted today that he plans to speak to the outfielder’s agent about a possible deal.
Jocketty called Ross “an interesting name” and indicated to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that it would have to be a short-term deal, presumably meaning one year or one year plus an option for 2013.
Ross predictably resumed being a mediocre hitter after his out of nowhere playoff breakout in 2010, but he’s a right-handed bat with 20-homer power and enough range to play center field in a pinch.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 1
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 35
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 78
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 19
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 8
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 63
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)