Dec 7, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Cody Ross has little chance of securing the three-year contract he’s reportedly seeking, but Reds general manager Walt Jocketty admitted today that he plans to speak to the outfielder’s agent about a possible deal.
Jocketty called Ross “an interesting name” and indicated to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that it would have to be a short-term deal, presumably meaning one year or one year plus an option for 2013.
Ross predictably resumed being a mediocre hitter after his out of nowhere playoff breakout in 2010, but he’s a right-handed bat with 20-homer power and enough range to play center field in a pinch.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)