Dec 7, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT
5:35 p.m. EST update: Marlins president David Samson said there’s no truth to this at all; that Ramirez didn’t ask for his contract to be restructured and that there will be no trade.
4:30 p.m. EST update: Andy Mota, Ramirez’s agent, told the Miami Herald’s Clark Spencer that Olney was way off with his report. He says Ramirez did not ask for a restructured contract and that the team is not exploring trades. “Not even close,” Mota said.
A source tells ESPN’s Buster Olney that the Marlins will look to trade Hanley Ramirez after the disgruntled infielder requested a restructured deal from the team.
Ramirez is upset about being asked to move to third base from shortstop to make room for Jose Reyes, but he doesn’t have a leg to stand on here. He’s already guaranteed $46.5 million over the next three years, and his play the last two seasons certainly doesn’t warrant any new considerations. Ramirez looked like he’d be a perennial MVP candidate after an awesome three-year run in his mid-20s, but his OPS has dropped from .954 to .853 to .712 since 2009.
Olney speculates that the Marlins, knowing that they would shed Ramirez’s salary, could sign Prince Fielder and either C.J. Wilson or Mark Buehrle in the next few days. They’ve already made a six-year offer to Wilson and a four-year proposal to Buehrle.
The Red Sox and Tigers are two of the teams that could be interested in taking on Ramirez’s contract.
- No, baseball does not to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 6
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)