Dec 7, 2011, 10:18 PM EDT
The Royals have let a number of talented players depart via free agency in the past 10-plus offseasons. Hoping to turn a new leaf as an organization, they’re going to try not to do that so much anymore.
Gordon is arbitration-eligible in 2012 and 2013, so there’s no real rush this winter. But the Royals don’t want him to get even a whiff of the open market.
A former second overall draft pick, the 27-year-old outfielder finally realized his potential this year on the way to posting a .303/.376/.502 batting line, 23 home runs, 87 RBI and 17 steals in 688 plate appearances.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)