Dec 7, 2011, 10:18 PM EDT
The Royals have let a number of talented players depart via free agency in the past 10-plus offseasons. Hoping to turn a new leaf as an organization, they’re going to try not to do that so much anymore.
Gordon is arbitration-eligible in 2012 and 2013, so there’s no real rush this winter. But the Royals don’t want him to get even a whiff of the open market.
A former second overall draft pick, the 27-year-old outfielder finally realized his potential this year on the way to posting a .303/.376/.502 batting line, 23 home runs, 87 RBI and 17 steals in 688 plate appearances.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)