Dec 7, 2011, 10:54 PM EDT
Madson is a Type A free agent, so by rejecting the offer he will net the Phillies two compensatory draft picks when he signs with a different team.
The 31-year-old posted a dominant 2.37 ERA and 62/16 K/BB ratio in 60 2/3 innings this past year for Philadelphia, converting 32 saves in 34 opportunities. The Red Sox have expressed some interest in making him Papelbon’s replacement, but it doesn’t sound like a deal is close.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)