Dec 7, 2011, 10:54 PM EST
Madson is a Type A free agent, so by rejecting the offer he will net the Phillies two compensatory draft picks when he signs with a different team.
The 31-year-old posted a dominant 2.37 ERA and 62/16 K/BB ratio in 60 2/3 innings this past year for Philadelphia, converting 32 saves in 34 opportunities. The Red Sox have expressed some interest in making him Papelbon’s replacement, but it doesn’t sound like a deal is close.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)