Dec 7, 2011, 10:54 PM EST
Madson is a Type A free agent, so by rejecting the offer he will net the Phillies two compensatory draft picks when he signs with a different team.
The 31-year-old posted a dominant 2.37 ERA and 62/16 K/BB ratio in 60 2/3 innings this past year for Philadelphia, converting 32 saves in 34 opportunities. The Red Sox have expressed some interest in making him Papelbon’s replacement, but it doesn’t sound like a deal is close.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)