Dec 7, 2011, 12:28 PM EST
Jose Reyes just donned the Miami Marlins jersey. He’s talking to all of us here in the media room right now. So far his comments are the usual: he’s excited, he thanks God. The Marlins showed that they wanted him and they wanted to win. Hay Amigos? Perhaps. Perhaps.
Of course the first few questions are from New York reporters asking him if he’s disappointed with the Mets for not keeping him. They gotta beat the drum, I guess. He did later say that it was rather easy, though, because “they [didn’t] make an offer to me.” Which means, I believe, a good offer. He had some “it’s a business” comments too. There’s no sense that the Mets bugged him. It’s just a thing, no matter how hard some New York writers try to turn it into a drama.
A big question, obviously, is what this means for Hanley Ramirez. Before Reyes talked, team president Larry Beifest offered some preemptive comments about it all. The key points:
“Hanley is a key to our team … we recognize his ability and his achievements … we have every intention of him being our third baseman. Within 30 seconds of bringing in Jose we communicated with Hanley and let him know what was going on.”
Reyes himself said that he has great respect for Hanley Ramirez and that, while he has not had time to reach out to Ramirez yet, he will soon.
He was later asked about the time he had to move to second base for the Mets and whether it was hard. He said “it wasn’t hard for me, you just have to work.” A message to Mr. Ramirez? Perhaps.
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 1
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 341
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (343)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Report: Josh Hamilton could get a suspension of “at least 25 games” (71)