Dec 7, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT
Jose Reyes just donned the Miami Marlins jersey. He’s talking to all of us here in the media room right now. So far his comments are the usual: he’s excited, he thanks God. The Marlins showed that they wanted him and they wanted to win. Hay Amigos? Perhaps. Perhaps.
Of course the first few questions are from New York reporters asking him if he’s disappointed with the Mets for not keeping him. They gotta beat the drum, I guess. He did later say that it was rather easy, though, because “they [didn't] make an offer to me.” Which means, I believe, a good offer. He had some “it’s a business” comments too. There’s no sense that the Mets bugged him. It’s just a thing, no matter how hard some New York writers try to turn it into a drama.
A big question, obviously, is what this means for Hanley Ramirez. Before Reyes talked, team president Larry Beifest offered some preemptive comments about it all. The key points:
“Hanley is a key to our team … we recognize his ability and his achievements … we have every intention of him being our third baseman. Within 30 seconds of bringing in Jose we communicated with Hanley and let him know what was going on.”
Reyes himself said that he has great respect for Hanley Ramirez and that, while he has not had time to reach out to Ramirez yet, he will soon.
He was later asked about the time he had to move to second base for the Mets and whether it was hard. He said “it wasn’t hard for me, you just have to work.” A message to Mr. Ramirez? Perhaps.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 9
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 23
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 14
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)