Dec 7, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT
Jose Reyes just donned the Miami Marlins jersey. He’s talking to all of us here in the media room right now. So far his comments are the usual: he’s excited, he thanks God. The Marlins showed that they wanted him and they wanted to win. Hay Amigos? Perhaps. Perhaps.
Of course the first few questions are from New York reporters asking him if he’s disappointed with the Mets for not keeping him. They gotta beat the drum, I guess. He did later say that it was rather easy, though, because “they [didn’t] make an offer to me.” Which means, I believe, a good offer. He had some “it’s a business” comments too. There’s no sense that the Mets bugged him. It’s just a thing, no matter how hard some New York writers try to turn it into a drama.
A big question, obviously, is what this means for Hanley Ramirez. Before Reyes talked, team president Larry Beifest offered some preemptive comments about it all. The key points:
“Hanley is a key to our team … we recognize his ability and his achievements … we have every intention of him being our third baseman. Within 30 seconds of bringing in Jose we communicated with Hanley and let him know what was going on.”
Reyes himself said that he has great respect for Hanley Ramirez and that, while he has not had time to reach out to Ramirez yet, he will soon.
He was later asked about the time he had to move to second base for the Mets and whether it was hard. He said “it wasn’t hard for me, you just have to work.” A message to Mr. Ramirez? Perhaps.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 14
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)