Dec 7, 2011, 12:28 PM EDT
Jose Reyes just donned the Miami Marlins jersey. He’s talking to all of us here in the media room right now. So far his comments are the usual: he’s excited, he thanks God. The Marlins showed that they wanted him and they wanted to win. Hay Amigos? Perhaps. Perhaps.
Of course the first few questions are from New York reporters asking him if he’s disappointed with the Mets for not keeping him. They gotta beat the drum, I guess. He did later say that it was rather easy, though, because “they [didn't] make an offer to me.” Which means, I believe, a good offer. He had some “it’s a business” comments too. There’s no sense that the Mets bugged him. It’s just a thing, no matter how hard some New York writers try to turn it into a drama.
A big question, obviously, is what this means for Hanley Ramirez. Before Reyes talked, team president Larry Beifest offered some preemptive comments about it all. The key points:
“Hanley is a key to our team … we recognize his ability and his achievements … we have every intention of him being our third baseman. Within 30 seconds of bringing in Jose we communicated with Hanley and let him know what was going on.”
Reyes himself said that he has great respect for Hanley Ramirez and that, while he has not had time to reach out to Ramirez yet, he will soon.
He was later asked about the time he had to move to second base for the Mets and whether it was hard. He said “it wasn’t hard for me, you just have to work.” A message to Mr. Ramirez? Perhaps.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (96)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)