Dec 7, 2011, 6:09 PM EDT
6:10 p.m. EDT: Susan Slusser is back with a report that the Blue Jays are trying to acquire Gio Gonzalez. Add them to the list that includes the Diamondbacks, Nationals, Reds and maybe still the Tigers and Yankees.
12:25 p.m. EDT: CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler reports that the Tigers weren’t prepared to pay the price for Gonzalez, which started with top pitching prospect Jacob Turner and had to include more.
Along with the Phillies’ interest, it’s also known that the Diamondbacks are making an effort to land Gonzalez, which is interesting, since the A’s are probably looking for the same kind of return they got when they sent Dan Haren to Arizona (Carlos Gonzalez, Brett Anderson, Chris Carter and more).
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal adds that the Nationals and Reds are also in the mix.
The San Francisco Chronicle’s Susan Slusser has heard from three different sources that the Tigers have engaged the A’s in talks for left-hander Gio Gonzalez.
The price will surely be high for the left-hander, who is a full four years away from free agency. The word earlier in the day was that the A’s wanted Jesus Montero and either Manny Banuelos or Dellin Betances from the Yankees for Gonzalez.
The Tigers aren’t capable of providing that kind of haul. Any trade would almost surely start with their top pitching prospect, right-hander Jacob Turner, and could also include third baseman Nick Castellanos or left-hander Casey Crosby. The A’s might also have some interest in outfielders Austin Jackson and Andy Dirks. Dirks is more their kind of player, but while Jackson is on-base challenged, his ability to run down balls in center is still pretty attractive.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 0
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 5
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 28
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 4
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Sharks beat Kings, trim LA's series lead
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit