Dec 7, 2011, 8:40 AM EDT
From the “let’s remember that we hear all kinds of crazy things at the Winter Meetings and a lot of it is baloney” files, Ken Rosenthal says that the Phillies — the Phillies! — are among the many teams with an interest in trading for Gio Gonzalez.
Because obviously the Phillies (a) need the pitching; and (b) have tons of prospects to deal. Yup.
The apparent reasoning for the interest:
The addition of Gonzalez would give the Phils the depth to trade left-hander Cole Hamels — give them or a ready-made replacement if Hamels leaves as a free agent after next season.
Setting aside the fact that all of the six old dudes hanging around the media room right now think this is the best joke of the morning, the fact is that you can only push off your “we must have a second elite lefty starter in the fold but paying for his contract extension is gonna really hurt” problems off so far.
Find a way to lock up Hamels, Ruben. You’ll be happier you did.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)