Dec 7, 2011, 8:40 AM EDT
From the “let’s remember that we hear all kinds of crazy things at the Winter Meetings and a lot of it is baloney” files, Ken Rosenthal says that the Phillies — the Phillies! — are among the many teams with an interest in trading for Gio Gonzalez.
Because obviously the Phillies (a) need the pitching; and (b) have tons of prospects to deal. Yup.
The apparent reasoning for the interest:
The addition of Gonzalez would give the Phils the depth to trade left-hander Cole Hamels — give them or a ready-made replacement if Hamels leaves as a free agent after next season.
Setting aside the fact that all of the six old dudes hanging around the media room right now think this is the best joke of the morning, the fact is that you can only push off your “we must have a second elite lefty starter in the fold but paying for his contract extension is gonna really hurt” problems off so far.
Find a way to lock up Hamels, Ruben. You’ll be happier you did.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)