Dec 7, 2011, 7:57 PM EDT
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, Nakajima might return to Japan for another year because he doesn’t stand to strike it rich in the major leagues.
The Yankees’ winning posting bid was only worth a total of $2 million and they’re unlikely to offer the 29-year-old a lucrative big league contract because he’s being viewed merely as a potential utility infielder.
Nakajima posted a .297/.354/.433 batting line with 16 home runs, 100 RBI and 21 stolen bases this past season for the Seibu Lions. He is a .302 career hitter in Nippon Professional Baseball.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)