Dec 8, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
This morning’s Rule 5 draft wasn’t very exciting, as a total of just 12 players were selected from an available talent pool that nearly everyone seemed to agree was somewhat underwhelming.
With the No. 1 pick the Astros selected right-hander Rhiner Cruz from the Mets. He was originally signed by the Tigers as a teenager out of the Dominican Republic in 2004, but they released Cruz in 2006 and he’s been in the Mets’ farm system ever since.
Prior to the draft John Manuel of Baseball America pegged Cruz as someone likely to be selected, noting that his “fastball touches the upper 90s.” However, his results between high Single-A and Double-A this year were mediocre, particularly for a 24-year-old, as Cruz threw 72 innings with a 3.89 ERA and 69/45 K/BB ratio working exclusively as a reliever.
With Cruz off the board the Twins selected 25-year-old right-hander Terry Doyle from the White Sox, adding to their always plentiful collection of control pitchers with low-90s velocity and poor strikeout rates.
Here are all the selections:
1. RHP Rhiner Cruz (Astros, from Mets)
2. RHP Terry Doyle (Twins, from White Sox)
3. RHP Lucas Luetge (Mariners, from Brewers)
4. 3B/OF Ryan Flaherty (Orioles, from Cubs)
5. LHP Cesar Cabral (Royals, from Red Sox)
6. RHP Lendy Castillo (Cubs, from Phillies)
8. SS Gustavo Nunez (Pirates, from Tigers)
21. LHP Robert Fish (Braves, from Angels)
22. OF Eric Komatsu (Cardinals, from Nationals)
23. 3B Marwin Gonzalez (Red Sox, from Cubs)
25. RHP Brett Lorin (Diamondbacks, from Pirates)
29. RHP Brad Meyers (Yankees, from Nationals)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 30
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)