Dec 8, 2011, 11:03 AM EST
This morning’s Rule 5 draft wasn’t very exciting, as a total of just 12 players were selected from an available talent pool that nearly everyone seemed to agree was somewhat underwhelming.
With the No. 1 pick the Astros selected right-hander Rhiner Cruz from the Mets. He was originally signed by the Tigers as a teenager out of the Dominican Republic in 2004, but they released Cruz in 2006 and he’s been in the Mets’ farm system ever since.
Prior to the draft John Manuel of Baseball America pegged Cruz as someone likely to be selected, noting that his “fastball touches the upper 90s.” However, his results between high Single-A and Double-A this year were mediocre, particularly for a 24-year-old, as Cruz threw 72 innings with a 3.89 ERA and 69/45 K/BB ratio working exclusively as a reliever.
With Cruz off the board the Twins selected 25-year-old right-hander Terry Doyle from the White Sox, adding to their always plentiful collection of control pitchers with low-90s velocity and poor strikeout rates.
Here are all the selections:
1. RHP Rhiner Cruz (Astros, from Mets)
2. RHP Terry Doyle (Twins, from White Sox)
3. RHP Lucas Luetge (Mariners, from Brewers)
4. 3B/OF Ryan Flaherty (Orioles, from Cubs)
5. LHP Cesar Cabral (Royals, from Red Sox)
6. RHP Lendy Castillo (Cubs, from Phillies)
8. SS Gustavo Nunez (Pirates, from Tigers)
21. LHP Robert Fish (Braves, from Angels)
22. OF Eric Komatsu (Cardinals, from Nationals)
23. 3B Marwin Gonzalez (Red Sox, from Cubs)
25. RHP Brett Lorin (Diamondbacks, from Pirates)
29. RHP Brad Meyers (Yankees, from Nationals)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 37
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 54
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 43
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)