Dec 8, 2011, 11:03 AM EST
This morning’s Rule 5 draft wasn’t very exciting, as a total of just 12 players were selected from an available talent pool that nearly everyone seemed to agree was somewhat underwhelming.
With the No. 1 pick the Astros selected right-hander Rhiner Cruz from the Mets. He was originally signed by the Tigers as a teenager out of the Dominican Republic in 2004, but they released Cruz in 2006 and he’s been in the Mets’ farm system ever since.
Prior to the draft John Manuel of Baseball America pegged Cruz as someone likely to be selected, noting that his “fastball touches the upper 90s.” However, his results between high Single-A and Double-A this year were mediocre, particularly for a 24-year-old, as Cruz threw 72 innings with a 3.89 ERA and 69/45 K/BB ratio working exclusively as a reliever.
With Cruz off the board the Twins selected 25-year-old right-hander Terry Doyle from the White Sox, adding to their always plentiful collection of control pitchers with low-90s velocity and poor strikeout rates.
Here are all the selections:
1. RHP Rhiner Cruz (Astros, from Mets)
2. RHP Terry Doyle (Twins, from White Sox)
3. RHP Lucas Luetge (Mariners, from Brewers)
4. 3B/OF Ryan Flaherty (Orioles, from Cubs)
5. LHP Cesar Cabral (Royals, from Red Sox)
6. RHP Lendy Castillo (Cubs, from Phillies)
8. SS Gustavo Nunez (Pirates, from Tigers)
21. LHP Robert Fish (Braves, from Angels)
22. OF Eric Komatsu (Cardinals, from Nationals)
23. 3B Marwin Gonzalez (Red Sox, from Cubs)
25. RHP Brett Lorin (Diamondbacks, from Pirates)
29. RHP Brad Meyers (Yankees, from Nationals)
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)