Dec 8, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
This morning’s Rule 5 draft wasn’t very exciting, as a total of just 12 players were selected from an available talent pool that nearly everyone seemed to agree was somewhat underwhelming.
With the No. 1 pick the Astros selected right-hander Rhiner Cruz from the Mets. He was originally signed by the Tigers as a teenager out of the Dominican Republic in 2004, but they released Cruz in 2006 and he’s been in the Mets’ farm system ever since.
Prior to the draft John Manuel of Baseball America pegged Cruz as someone likely to be selected, noting that his “fastball touches the upper 90s.” However, his results between high Single-A and Double-A this year were mediocre, particularly for a 24-year-old, as Cruz threw 72 innings with a 3.89 ERA and 69/45 K/BB ratio working exclusively as a reliever.
With Cruz off the board the Twins selected 25-year-old right-hander Terry Doyle from the White Sox, adding to their always plentiful collection of control pitchers with low-90s velocity and poor strikeout rates.
Here are all the selections:
1. RHP Rhiner Cruz (Astros, from Mets)
2. RHP Terry Doyle (Twins, from White Sox)
3. RHP Lucas Luetge (Mariners, from Brewers)
4. 3B/OF Ryan Flaherty (Orioles, from Cubs)
5. LHP Cesar Cabral (Royals, from Red Sox)
6. RHP Lendy Castillo (Cubs, from Phillies)
8. SS Gustavo Nunez (Pirates, from Tigers)
21. LHP Robert Fish (Braves, from Angels)
22. OF Eric Komatsu (Cardinals, from Nationals)
23. 3B Marwin Gonzalez (Red Sox, from Cubs)
25. RHP Brett Lorin (Diamondbacks, from Pirates)
29. RHP Brad Meyers (Yankees, from Nationals)
- Mets acquire center fielder Carlos Gomez from Brewers 30
- Rangers “close to getting” Phillies ace Cole Hamels 49
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 63
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 47
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)