Dec 8, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
This morning’s Rule 5 draft wasn’t very exciting, as a total of just 12 players were selected from an available talent pool that nearly everyone seemed to agree was somewhat underwhelming.
With the No. 1 pick the Astros selected right-hander Rhiner Cruz from the Mets. He was originally signed by the Tigers as a teenager out of the Dominican Republic in 2004, but they released Cruz in 2006 and he’s been in the Mets’ farm system ever since.
Prior to the draft John Manuel of Baseball America pegged Cruz as someone likely to be selected, noting that his “fastball touches the upper 90s.” However, his results between high Single-A and Double-A this year were mediocre, particularly for a 24-year-old, as Cruz threw 72 innings with a 3.89 ERA and 69/45 K/BB ratio working exclusively as a reliever.
With Cruz off the board the Twins selected 25-year-old right-hander Terry Doyle from the White Sox, adding to their always plentiful collection of control pitchers with low-90s velocity and poor strikeout rates.
Here are all the selections:
1. RHP Rhiner Cruz (Astros, from Mets)
2. RHP Terry Doyle (Twins, from White Sox)
3. RHP Lucas Luetge (Mariners, from Brewers)
4. 3B/OF Ryan Flaherty (Orioles, from Cubs)
5. LHP Cesar Cabral (Royals, from Red Sox)
6. RHP Lendy Castillo (Cubs, from Phillies)
8. SS Gustavo Nunez (Pirates, from Tigers)
21. LHP Robert Fish (Braves, from Angels)
22. OF Eric Komatsu (Cardinals, from Nationals)
23. 3B Marwin Gonzalez (Red Sox, from Cubs)
25. RHP Brett Lorin (Diamondbacks, from Pirates)
29. RHP Brad Meyers (Yankees, from Nationals)
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)