Dec 8, 2011, 4:05 PM EST
As for Gonzalez … he’s 35 years old and coming off a terrible season at the plate, but when you just finished watching Yuniesky Betancourt for an entire season just about anything probably seems like a big shortstop upgrade.
Gonzalez is actually one of two active hitters with 3,500 plate appearances and a worse career on-base percentage than Betancourt, with the major difference being that his defense has been good enough to live with the extreme out-making most years. That may no longer be true at age 35–his defensive numbers slipped significantly–and despite smacking 15 homers Gonzalez was brutal at the plate this season, hitting .241 with a .642 OPS and 126 strikeouts versus just 22 walks in 149 games.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 26
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 75
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (103)