C.J. Wilson: “If it was about the money, I’d be a Florida Marlin”

Dec 8, 2011, 1:14 PM EDT

CJ Wilson necklace

Albert Pujols reportedly turned down $275 million from the Marlins to take $254 million from the Angels and it turns out C.J. Wilson also opted against going to Miami for the most possible money.

Wilson’s agent, Bob Garber, told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that the left-hander “easily” could have topped $100 million because the Marlins “would not let it go.”

Instead he inked a five-year, $77.5 million deal with the Angels, saying: “If it was about the money, I’d be a Florida Marlin.”

(It’s the Miami Marlins now, C.J., but whatever.)

Miami refusing to grant no-trade clauses to any player reportedly also played a factor in the Pujols discussions and may have been an issue for Wilson as well, but whatever the case squeezing the most possible money out of free agency apparently didn’t determine either player’s new home.

1. 1972wasalongtimeago - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Say it with me…. M I A M I Marlins. If they were going to pay you more than $15 million a year, at least have the courtesy.

• chuckj1234 - Dec 10, 2011 at 12:44 AM

None required.

2. SmackSaw - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I remember all the talk about how the Vernon Wells contract was gonna hamstring the Angels…good times.

• chuckj1234 - Dec 10, 2011 at 12:47 AM

I think that Wells will be the comeback player of of 2012. Good times for the Angels.

3. cintiphil - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Wilson is a good better than average pitcher, but his life time record is not spectacular. This may the worst of the two deals in my opinion.

• professor59 - Dec 8, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Keep in mind those numbers were half in Texas. A 3.60 career ERA in Texas is like 2.75 in LA. I will be drafting him highly!

4. uyf1950 - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:29 PM

Is $254MM the final number for Pujols? I know they were estimating $250/$260MM.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:31 PM

If Al and CJ really did turn down more to go to the Angels, that makes the Angels look that much more appetizing to other players.

It also shows how Miami is, in a way only the players truly know, more skeptical to play in, be it the weather, management, division or what have you.

But the biggest thing it shows is that money really doesn’t always do ALL of the talking. Even if that talking was potentially matching the largest contract in baseball history.

• cur68 - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM

A kind of neat thought that I just had: both guys could be thinking about their impact on their former teams with entirely different intentions. I think not playing against the Cards was a factor in the Anaheim decision for Pujols. That and not dressing in rainbow, of course. CJ, too could have been thinking the same thing about the uniforms but, being much less liked in Texas, was thinking: “NOW we’ll see what it’s like hitting my pitching instead of criticizing it, shall we?”

6. tacklemeelmo - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:43 PM

So its not about the money? Now I’m confused…

7. florida727 - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Offered the most money to Albert. Offered the most money to CJ. Neither signs. Common denominator: no-trade clauses. If it were me, I might consider rethinking my stance on no-trade clauses. You know… “first time you get bit by a dog, it’s the dog’s fault” kind of thing.

• cshearing - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:55 PM

I’m of the belief that no team should ever give a no-trade clause. Those things do more damage to a GM’s job than large contracts. I cannot even imagine how bad it would still be if Vernon Wells had a NTC.

• lyon810 - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:04 PM

They were smart not to sign because of no no-trade clauses. The Marlins will win a title and sell off everyone, and people are wise to it now.

• skipperxc - Dec 8, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Where I get confused is, you get a ring out of that deal. How is that a problem, even if you get traded?

• presidentmiraflores - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I agree with florida727, cshearing, and lyon810, but the way I see this is that Pujols is a good enough player to give a no-trade clause to, and because of the trade veto power he would have in a few more years anyway (before he really becomes overpaid), it is kinda silly to be so dead set against a NTC in his case, except to avoid setting a precedent if you’re the Marlins. In Wilson’s case, he just isn’t good enough to warrant a NTC, so I wouldn’t have budged either.

8. cshearing - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM

This dude took a real hometown discount. Maybe homestate discount is the better word?

• clydeserra - Dec 8, 2011 at 3:52 PM

home county

9. Old Gator - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM

As I wrote earlier, I think that huge Feesh offer to Pujols is a myth. I shitcanned it the minute I read it. As far as Wilson, he’d rather play at home. No mystery there, and nothing remarkable.

10. whatthehellisansky - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:54 PM

…and hes making less than AJ Burnett…

11. rambodiaz - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:19 PM

C.J. Wilson: “If it was about the money, I’d be a Florida Marlin”

Yep. Me, too, CJ… Me, too.

12. kpow55 - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Um class franchise, great fan base, beautiful area, family friendly…… vs Miami

• kpow55 - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:47 PM

If Miami was desirable, free agents would go there. Case closed.

At least they snagged 2 NBA stars with leadership issues…… and entourages desperate to get out of Ohio and Canada.

• Old Gator - Dec 8, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Free agents do go there. Or hadn’t you noticed? The Feesh went 3 for 5 – that’s a .600 BA. Not too shabby.

And it’s not over yet. Not by a long shot.

13. delsj - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Can’t run a good fire sale in 3 years when all your high priced talent has no trade clauses?

14. spytdi - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Jon Daniels will reload with a pitcher, not a thrower. Matt Garza will fit in nicely (once the trade is made) and Feliz coming into the rotation should lessen the blow of the “closer to starter” role that Wilson is leaving.

15. jason9696 - Dec 8, 2011 at 6:01 PM

C.J. Wilson will only be a .500 pitcher next season and choke in the playoffs like he did a few months ago. If the Angels even make it there.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto