Dec 8, 2011, 7:03 PM EDT
The Cards were left unimpressed by Theriot’s defense at shortstop this past season and have already committed to 25-year-old Daniel Descalso as their starting second baseman for 2012.
Theriot, who possesses a weak .697 career OPS, will soon begin the process of looking for another club. Heyman suggests that the Mets, Braves, Reds, Astros, Blue Jays and Royals might have interest.
The 32-year-old batted just .271/.321/.342 across 483 plate appearances in 2011.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 9
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)