Dec 8, 2011, 7:03 PM EDT
The Cards were left unimpressed by Theriot’s defense at shortstop this past season and have already committed to 25-year-old Daniel Descalso as their starting second baseman for 2012.
Theriot, who possesses a weak .697 career OPS, will soon begin the process of looking for another club. Heyman suggests that the Mets, Braves, Reds, Astros, Blue Jays and Royals might have interest.
The 32-year-old batted just .271/.321/.342 across 483 plate appearances in 2011.
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 0
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 21
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 13
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 12
- The Braves to sign Ervin Santana to a one-year deal, announcement coming this morning 56
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)