Dec 8, 2011, 7:03 PM EDT
The Cards were left unimpressed by Theriot’s defense at shortstop this past season and have already committed to 25-year-old Daniel Descalso as their starting second baseman for 2012.
Theriot, who possesses a weak .697 career OPS, will soon begin the process of looking for another club. Heyman suggests that the Mets, Braves, Reds, Astros, Blue Jays and Royals might have interest.
The 32-year-old batted just .271/.321/.342 across 483 plate appearances in 2011.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)