Dec 8, 2011, 9:16 PM EDT
In news that should come as no surprise at all, MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch reports that agent Dan Lozano placed a phone call to Yankees general manager Brian Cashman early in the free agency process to gauge his interest in Albert Pujols.
Cashman’s Yankees are locked into first baseman Mark Teixeira through 2016 at a rate of $22.5 million per year and will need the DH spot for Jesus Montero and some of the club’s aging stars, so the conversation with Lozano did not last very long.
Here’s what Cashman told Hoch on Thursday:
“I said no; I gave it a nice, respectful no. We’ve made our commitments, we have guys we’re committed to, and so … even though you can say he can fit on anybody’s club, realistically our money is spent in those directions. How do you add that with our commitments? You just can’t. It’s not feasible. They just checked in. It was more, I’m sure, on [Lozano's] list of things — ‘I have to ask, because I’ve got to do my job. But even Dan Lozano recognized [that with] Teixeira, Alex Rodriguez, [Jesus] Montero — there’s no vacancy here. I think if you were in my chair, you’d be in the same decision-making mode.”
In the end, Lozano didn’t need the Evil Empire to drive Pujols’ market value into the range of insanity.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 7
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 44
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 83
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 68
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)