Dec 8, 2011, 9:16 PM EDT
In news that should come as no surprise at all, MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch reports that agent Dan Lozano placed a phone call to Yankees general manager Brian Cashman early in the free agency process to gauge his interest in Albert Pujols.
Cashman’s Yankees are locked into first baseman Mark Teixeira through 2016 at a rate of $22.5 million per year and will need the DH spot for Jesus Montero and some of the club’s aging stars, so the conversation with Lozano did not last very long.
Here’s what Cashman told Hoch on Thursday:
“I said no; I gave it a nice, respectful no. We’ve made our commitments, we have guys we’re committed to, and so … even though you can say he can fit on anybody’s club, realistically our money is spent in those directions. How do you add that with our commitments? You just can’t. It’s not feasible. They just checked in. It was more, I’m sure, on [Lozano’s] list of things — ‘I have to ask, because I’ve got to do my job. But even Dan Lozano recognized [that with] Teixeira, Alex Rodriguez, [Jesus] Montero — there’s no vacancy here. I think if you were in my chair, you’d be in the same decision-making mode.”
In the end, Lozano didn’t need the Evil Empire to drive Pujols’ market value into the range of insanity.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)