Dec 8, 2011, 8:06 AM EST
We’re never going to have any resolution on Albert Pujols, I feel. He will have multiple ten-year offers waiting for his decision until the end of time and, in the meantime, he’ll play on barnstorming tours. For a mystery barnstorming team. It’s just fitting.
The lobby of the Hilton Anatole has gotten simply punchy by now. Rumors all seemed so fresh and exciting on Monday morning and now they evoke eye rolls and then guesses as to who will debunk them first. This is all a very interesting scene, but it’s one where there is far more talk than action. And the action is what really matters.
Here’s some action: people are tracking a private jet that is currently en route from St. Louis to Dallas, convinced that it’s Pujols coming down here to announce that he has signed with … the Nippon Ham Fighters? Manchester United? The Four Horsemen? Who knows? We’ll know when someone says so.
Until then we’ll watch and wait and maybe pretend we care about today’s Rule 5 draft a little. Oh, and we’ll try to figure out how to get our coats to stop smelling like the Lockhart Smokehouse. Not that that’s a bad thing.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)