Dec 8, 2011, 2:48 PM EST
The Marlins might want to reconsider their plan to offer the former Leo Nunez a contract for next season.
Juan Carlos Oviedo was arrested in the Dominican Republic on Thursday and charged with using a false identity, The Associated Press reports.
Dominican authorities indicated that Oviedo would be brought to trial, though no timetable was immediately provided. That Oviedo is facing legal troubles in his homeland figures to make it even more difficult for him to get a U.S. visa next spring, meaning the Marlins will probably be better off non-tendering him before the Dec. 12 deadline. The team already has a new closer, having signed Heath Bell to a three-year, $27 million contract.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)