Dec 8, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
The Marlins might want to reconsider their plan to offer the former Leo Nunez a contract for next season.
Juan Carlos Oviedo was arrested in the Dominican Republic on Thursday and charged with using a false identity, The Associated Press reports.
Dominican authorities indicated that Oviedo would be brought to trial, though no timetable was immediately provided. That Oviedo is facing legal troubles in his homeland figures to make it even more difficult for him to get a U.S. visa next spring, meaning the Marlins will probably be better off non-tendering him before the Dec. 12 deadline. The team already has a new closer, having signed Heath Bell to a three-year, $27 million contract.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (151)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)