Dec 8, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
The Marlins might want to reconsider their plan to offer the former Leo Nunez a contract for next season.
Juan Carlos Oviedo was arrested in the Dominican Republic on Thursday and charged with using a false identity, The Associated Press reports.
Dominican authorities indicated that Oviedo would be brought to trial, though no timetable was immediately provided. That Oviedo is facing legal troubles in his homeland figures to make it even more difficult for him to get a U.S. visa next spring, meaning the Marlins will probably be better off non-tendering him before the Dec. 12 deadline. The team already has a new closer, having signed Heath Bell to a three-year, $27 million contract.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 10
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 28
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)