Dec 8, 2011, 12:51 PM EDT
UPDATE: Suffice it to say there’s some significant disagreement about how much the Marlins actually offered Pujols, as Bob Nightengale of USA Today says it was $275 million for 10 years. That’s a pretty huge difference compared to Frisaro’s report of $210 million and in Nightengale’s scenario Pujols left $25 million or so on the table.
Albert Pujols‘ agent informed the Marlins last night that they were out of the running and now Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that Miami’s final offer to the three-time MVP was $210 million for 10 years.
Pujols ended up getting what’s reported to be $250-260 million over 10 years from the Angels and even the Cardinals’ best offer was believed to be higher than $210 million, so while the Marlins made plenty of headlines for their pursuit of Pujols it sure seems like they never had a great chance to actually sign him.
Miami’s refusal to grant Pujols a no-trade clause also reportedly played a factor. On the other hand, because of the tax situation $210 million earned in Florida is worth considerably more than $210 million elsewhere.
According to Frisaro the Marlins are likely to make a “run” at Prince Fielder “in the upcoming weeks.”
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)