Dec 8, 2011, 12:51 PM EST
UPDATE: Suffice it to say there’s some significant disagreement about how much the Marlins actually offered Pujols, as Bob Nightengale of USA Today says it was $275 million for 10 years. That’s a pretty huge difference compared to Frisaro’s report of $210 million and in Nightengale’s scenario Pujols left $25 million or so on the table.
Albert Pujols‘ agent informed the Marlins last night that they were out of the running and now Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that Miami’s final offer to the three-time MVP was $210 million for 10 years.
Pujols ended up getting what’s reported to be $250-260 million over 10 years from the Angels and even the Cardinals’ best offer was believed to be higher than $210 million, so while the Marlins made plenty of headlines for their pursuit of Pujols it sure seems like they never had a great chance to actually sign him.
Miami’s refusal to grant Pujols a no-trade clause also reportedly played a factor. On the other hand, because of the tax situation $210 million earned in Florida is worth considerably more than $210 million elsewhere.
According to Frisaro the Marlins are likely to make a “run” at Prince Fielder “in the upcoming weeks.”
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)