Dec 8, 2011, 12:51 PM EDT
UPDATE: Suffice it to say there’s some significant disagreement about how much the Marlins actually offered Pujols, as Bob Nightengale of USA Today says it was $275 million for 10 years. That’s a pretty huge difference compared to Frisaro’s report of $210 million and in Nightengale’s scenario Pujols left $25 million or so on the table.
Albert Pujols‘ agent informed the Marlins last night that they were out of the running and now Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that Miami’s final offer to the three-time MVP was $210 million for 10 years.
Pujols ended up getting what’s reported to be $250-260 million over 10 years from the Angels and even the Cardinals’ best offer was believed to be higher than $210 million, so while the Marlins made plenty of headlines for their pursuit of Pujols it sure seems like they never had a great chance to actually sign him.
Miami’s refusal to grant Pujols a no-trade clause also reportedly played a factor. On the other hand, because of the tax situation $210 million earned in Florida is worth considerably more than $210 million elsewhere.
According to Frisaro the Marlins are likely to make a “run” at Prince Fielder “in the upcoming weeks.”
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)