Dec 8, 2011, 12:51 PM EST
UPDATE: Suffice it to say there’s some significant disagreement about how much the Marlins actually offered Pujols, as Bob Nightengale of USA Today says it was $275 million for 10 years. That’s a pretty huge difference compared to Frisaro’s report of $210 million and in Nightengale’s scenario Pujols left $25 million or so on the table.
Albert Pujols‘ agent informed the Marlins last night that they were out of the running and now Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that Miami’s final offer to the three-time MVP was $210 million for 10 years.
Pujols ended up getting what’s reported to be $250-260 million over 10 years from the Angels and even the Cardinals’ best offer was believed to be higher than $210 million, so while the Marlins made plenty of headlines for their pursuit of Pujols it sure seems like they never had a great chance to actually sign him.
Miami’s refusal to grant Pujols a no-trade clause also reportedly played a factor. On the other hand, because of the tax situation $210 million earned in Florida is worth considerably more than $210 million elsewhere.
According to Frisaro the Marlins are likely to make a “run” at Prince Fielder “in the upcoming weeks.”
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)