Dec 8, 2011, 12:51 PM EDT
UPDATE: Suffice it to say there’s some significant disagreement about how much the Marlins actually offered Pujols, as Bob Nightengale of USA Today says it was $275 million for 10 years. That’s a pretty huge difference compared to Frisaro’s report of $210 million and in Nightengale’s scenario Pujols left $25 million or so on the table.
Albert Pujols‘ agent informed the Marlins last night that they were out of the running and now Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that Miami’s final offer to the three-time MVP was $210 million for 10 years.
Pujols ended up getting what’s reported to be $250-260 million over 10 years from the Angels and even the Cardinals’ best offer was believed to be higher than $210 million, so while the Marlins made plenty of headlines for their pursuit of Pujols it sure seems like they never had a great chance to actually sign him.
Miami’s refusal to grant Pujols a no-trade clause also reportedly played a factor. On the other hand, because of the tax situation $210 million earned in Florida is worth considerably more than $210 million elsewhere.
According to Frisaro the Marlins are likely to make a “run” at Prince Fielder “in the upcoming weeks.”
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 25
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 44
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 48
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)