Dec 8, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
It’s kind of hard to believe a team is actually giving up talent for Dana Eveland rather than just signing him to a minor league contract and letting him compete for a job, but here we are.
The Orioles on Thursday acquired the left-hander from the Dodgers for fellow southpaw Jarret Martin and outfielder Tyler Henson.
Eveland upped his stock a bit by going 3-2 with a 3.03 ERA in five starts with the Dodgers at the end of last season. He was also 12-8 with a 4.38 ERA in Triple-A. That was enough to overshadow dreadful 2009 and 2010 seasons in which he combined for a 4.90 ERA in Triple-A and a 6.96 ERA in 98 1/3 innings as a major leaguer.
Eveland figures to have a spot at the back of Baltimore’s rotation barring a lousy spring. If he manages a sub-5.00 ERA in the AL East, it’d be quite an accomplishment.
Fortunately, the price wasn’t too substantial. Martin, a 22-year-old with a low-90s fastball, went 5-12 with a 4.96 ERA in 18 starts and 13 relief appearances for low-A Delmarva last season. At best, he’s a future reliever. Henson hit .247/.313/.321 as a 23-year-old in Triple-A last year and is a long shot to have any sort of career as a reserve outfielder.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 0
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 5
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 24
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 29
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)