Dec 8, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
It’s kind of hard to believe a team is actually giving up talent for Dana Eveland rather than just signing him to a minor league contract and letting him compete for a job, but here we are.
The Orioles on Thursday acquired the left-hander from the Dodgers for fellow southpaw Jarret Martin and outfielder Tyler Henson.
Eveland upped his stock a bit by going 3-2 with a 3.03 ERA in five starts with the Dodgers at the end of last season. He was also 12-8 with a 4.38 ERA in Triple-A. That was enough to overshadow dreadful 2009 and 2010 seasons in which he combined for a 4.90 ERA in Triple-A and a 6.96 ERA in 98 1/3 innings as a major leaguer.
Eveland figures to have a spot at the back of Baltimore’s rotation barring a lousy spring. If he manages a sub-5.00 ERA in the AL East, it’d be quite an accomplishment.
Fortunately, the price wasn’t too substantial. Martin, a 22-year-old with a low-90s fastball, went 5-12 with a 4.96 ERA in 18 starts and 13 relief appearances for low-A Delmarva last season. At best, he’s a future reliever. Henson hit .247/.313/.321 as a 23-year-old in Triple-A last year and is a long shot to have any sort of career as a reserve outfielder.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 90
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 63
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (104)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)