Dec 8, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
It’s kind of hard to believe a team is actually giving up talent for Dana Eveland rather than just signing him to a minor league contract and letting him compete for a job, but here we are.
The Orioles on Thursday acquired the left-hander from the Dodgers for fellow southpaw Jarret Martin and outfielder Tyler Henson.
Eveland upped his stock a bit by going 3-2 with a 3.03 ERA in five starts with the Dodgers at the end of last season. He was also 12-8 with a 4.38 ERA in Triple-A. That was enough to overshadow dreadful 2009 and 2010 seasons in which he combined for a 4.90 ERA in Triple-A and a 6.96 ERA in 98 1/3 innings as a major leaguer.
Eveland figures to have a spot at the back of Baltimore’s rotation barring a lousy spring. If he manages a sub-5.00 ERA in the AL East, it’d be quite an accomplishment.
Fortunately, the price wasn’t too substantial. Martin, a 22-year-old with a low-90s fastball, went 5-12 with a 4.96 ERA in 18 starts and 13 relief appearances for low-A Delmarva last season. At best, he’s a future reliever. Henson hit .247/.313/.321 as a 23-year-old in Triple-A last year and is a long shot to have any sort of career as a reserve outfielder.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 59
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 50
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)