Dec 8, 2011, 12:03 PM EST
It’s kind of hard to believe a team is actually giving up talent for Dana Eveland rather than just signing him to a minor league contract and letting him compete for a job, but here we are.
The Orioles on Thursday acquired the left-hander from the Dodgers for fellow southpaw Jarret Martin and outfielder Tyler Henson.
Eveland upped his stock a bit by going 3-2 with a 3.03 ERA in five starts with the Dodgers at the end of last season. He was also 12-8 with a 4.38 ERA in Triple-A. That was enough to overshadow dreadful 2009 and 2010 seasons in which he combined for a 4.90 ERA in Triple-A and a 6.96 ERA in 98 1/3 innings as a major leaguer.
Eveland figures to have a spot at the back of Baltimore’s rotation barring a lousy spring. If he manages a sub-5.00 ERA in the AL East, it’d be quite an accomplishment.
Fortunately, the price wasn’t too substantial. Martin, a 22-year-old with a low-90s fastball, went 5-12 with a 4.96 ERA in 18 starts and 13 relief appearances for low-A Delmarva last season. At best, he’s a future reliever. Henson hit .247/.313/.321 as a 23-year-old in Triple-A last year and is a long shot to have any sort of career as a reserve outfielder.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)