Dec 8, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
It’s kind of hard to believe a team is actually giving up talent for Dana Eveland rather than just signing him to a minor league contract and letting him compete for a job, but here we are.
The Orioles on Thursday acquired the left-hander from the Dodgers for fellow southpaw Jarret Martin and outfielder Tyler Henson.
Eveland upped his stock a bit by going 3-2 with a 3.03 ERA in five starts with the Dodgers at the end of last season. He was also 12-8 with a 4.38 ERA in Triple-A. That was enough to overshadow dreadful 2009 and 2010 seasons in which he combined for a 4.90 ERA in Triple-A and a 6.96 ERA in 98 1/3 innings as a major leaguer.
Eveland figures to have a spot at the back of Baltimore’s rotation barring a lousy spring. If he manages a sub-5.00 ERA in the AL East, it’d be quite an accomplishment.
Fortunately, the price wasn’t too substantial. Martin, a 22-year-old with a low-90s fastball, went 5-12 with a 4.96 ERA in 18 starts and 13 relief appearances for low-A Delmarva last season. At best, he’s a future reliever. Henson hit .247/.313/.321 as a 23-year-old in Triple-A last year and is a long shot to have any sort of career as a reserve outfielder.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)