Photo of the day: the knives are really out for Pujols now

Dec 8, 2011, 11:36 AM EDT

Check out the front page of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s web sports section a few minutes ago.  Practically New York Post-esque:

source:

1. b7p19 - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:39 AM

This should read:

“Pujols departs for LA after giving a decade of his life to the city of St Louis.”

The dispatch should be arrested for trying to encite a riot.

• HitsDingers - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:41 AM

In a world where corporations are people…

• b7p19 - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Ok, sorry. The writer of the headline that the dispatch posted should be arrested. I should be more clear in my writing. For you: I don’t actually think anyone should be arrested. Damn.

• cleverbob - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:12 PM

For some stupid reason they are when it comes to free speech and campaign contributions, but lets not go that road.

• hotkarlsandwich - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Seems like today would be a good day to dine and dash at this resturant:

• hotkarlsandwich - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Seems like today would be a good day to dine and dash at this restaurant:

• thefalcon123 - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:51 AM

…their site is currently down.

• 78mu - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:48 AM

The paper should be mad at Morales for breaking his ankle at the home plate celebration. If he’s healthy the Angels would never have considered Pujols.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Let’s go even further and be mad at Aaron Boone for getting hurt in 2003 as well, while we’re at it!

• somekat - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:24 PM

He is leaving St Louis a very rich man (BEFORE he gets paid from the Angels). Saying he “gave a decdade of his life to the city of St Louis” is a joke.

He took the biggest deal, I have no problem with that. But when it is a difference of 10 mil of a 250 mil contract, you can understand them being a bit upset. The headline seems tame to me

2. uyf1950 - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:40 AM

That’s just sour grapes on their part. The Cardinals have no one to blame but themselves for Pujols moving on.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:42 AM

They should blame the Marlins, not the Cardinals.

• paperlions - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:00 PM

If given a choice between Pujols for 10 years and $250M or no Pujols….I’m good with the latter.

• A.J. - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:36 PM

A lot of times statements like this can seem like sour grapes, but not when they make so much sense.

This was one of those times where you are glad your team doesn’t have a need at that position and a lot of money to spend. I (Braves fan) was almost rooting for him to go to the Marlins since it would speed up their impending complete financial implosion.

• bobdira - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Great point, I wonder who believes today that ARod is worth 25+million a year. gotta believe folks will be thinking the same thing about AP.

3. randygnyc - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Sure, the fans in St Louis are going to be sad for awhile. As fellow baseball fans we should empathize with them and offer emotional support when necessary.

LMAO!!!

4. 1972wasalongtimeago - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Should be a picture of a Cardinals fan in that position. Not Pujols

5. phukyouk - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:41 AM

“Nice Ass, He must work out”

6. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:41 AM

But what have you done for me lately, other than help win a second world series in a decade?

7. mdpickles - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:41 AM

“Cards turn their back on Pujols”

8. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:42 AM

I can’t wait until Scioscia has him bunt a runner from 2nd to 3rd.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:31 PM

That might be his role in 2021.

9. ukcardsfan - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Well, he kinda did? Anyways, over it. I’m more annoyed about the fish that got away whilst we were trying to reel that one in.

There’s a couple of guys that we can still get with the payroll left who could make a difference to the roster let’s hope Mo goes in to beast mode, DeWitt opens his wallet and get it done.

10. El Bravo - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:44 AM

That back must have been heavy and tired… It carried two WS, a few MVP trophies, and an entire city on it for over a decade. Now it’s carrying minimal weight of a quarter billion and endless new possibilities. He’s carried a lot of weight on that back, I think he should be able to turn it any direction he pleases.

St. Louis, your team will be the team to beat in the division for years to come. You don’t even have to acquire a big bat and you can still say your line up is powerful. You won a WS w/o your best pitcher. Consider yourselves lucky any way you slice it!

• paperlions - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Last year he wasn’t the best player on the team….they won last year because they got contributions from everyone….in the WS he sucked except for the one fantastic game during a route.

• Detroit Michael - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Fangraphs WAR and Baseball-reference WAR both rates Pujols as the best player on the 2011 Cardinals team, although barely. Let’s not rewrite history not that Pujols is leaving the Cardinals.

• paperlions - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM

On a per-game basis, he was not the best player on the team…he only rated better than Holliday because he played more, and he only rated better than Berkman because Berkman moved to the OF….if Berkman had the luxury of playing 1B last year, his WAR would have killed that of Pujols in the OF. Alan Craig was even a better offensive player than Pujols last year.

• astrozac - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Except for ONE very great game, he didn’t do shit in 12 World Series games for the Cards. No doubt his presence helped in the lineup, but David Eckstein, Detroit Tiger pitchers fielding, St. Louis Cardinal staring pitching were the major factors in 2006 and Chris Carpenter, a steady bullpen, Allan Craig and David Freese were the the reasons behind the 2011.

I guess Pujols believes whichever team payed him the most, was the team that would have the best chance to win. I’m thankful for what he did in St. Louis, but good riddance…

• El Bravo - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Whatever, man. If he went with who “payed” (sic) him the most, he’d also be a “Florida Marlin”. STL wasn’t even second fiddle here. LAA was second fiddle in terms of money, yet he’s there now. Obviously, there is more to this story than just money.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:47 PM

It’s hilarious to me that teams are expected to make smart business decisions and players are expected to take what’s offered even if it’s not a smart business decision…

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Jonny: I understand where you are going with your post.
        But in my opinion it isn’t apples-to-apples.
        Teams are Organizations with Hundreds of employees who must make smart business decisions for the viability of their Organizations.
        Superstar players are people who make more money in 1 or 2 contracts than they will ever be able to spend.

11. joshftw - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I’m trying to work this out in my head:
    2000 – Alex Rodriguez leaves Seattle for dump trucks full of money, is universally reviled for it.
    2011 – Albert Pujols leaves St. Louis for dump trucks full of money, is still a good guy?

• nps6724 - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Arod went to a terrible team. Pujols is going to a contender.

Also, I remember Arod making a big fuss about how he wasn’t leaving. Did Pujols do the same?

• jwbiii - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:43 PM

The Rangers had won their division in three of the previous five years. The Angels have won their division in three of the past five years.

• easports82 - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Not just any dump truck, the same dump truck.

• Kevin S. - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Not exactly the same scenarios. A-Rod had won two rings or spent a decade being the best player in baseball for well-below market value contracts. And for what it’s worth, he wasn’t a bad guy for taking Tom Hicks’ money, either.

• b7p19 - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Anyone that hates ARod because he maximized his earing potential was just jealous. I felt the same about ARod as I do about Albert and I think there are more people like me than you know. The loudest most annoying folks probably feel that way though.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM

You know they probably get paid in ACH deposits, right?

12. jiveturkey23 - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Come on guys they will be fine they will Sign Lance Berkman to a 10 yr deal now instead….St louis will be fine…lol

13. cur68 - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Bitterness is an ugly emotion. He played the best baseball of his life in that town for way less than what he was worth as a ballplayer. Now he’s going to play declining baseball for a ridiculous amount of money for a team that isn’t in the same league. His contract would have crippled St. Louis. Now it’ll cripple the Angels without too much damage to The Cards. There is some good news here for the St. Louis faithful. Wish they’d see it as such.

• tridecagon - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:51 AM

St. Louis fan for all of my 29 years, and I do see it that way. The only people I can blame are the Angels for throwing stupid money after him. (And for what it’s worth, most of my friends on facebook are heading the same direction… I’m not seeing the universal anger that people are talking about.) Yes, it hurts. But only for a little while.

14. imaduffer - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Long time Cardinal fan. Good luck Albert.

15. agilmore1080 - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Personally, I hope someone takes a baseball bat and a bag of shit to that phony asshole’s statue outside his restaurant.

• Kevin S. - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:54 AM

The only bag of shit I see here is the one advocating destruction of property.

• drmonkeyarmy - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I think that is a bit much, no?

• blueintown - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:59 AM

World’s greatest baseball fans.

• ukcardsfan - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Please don’t let that comment reflect on the rest of us…

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Blue: Yeah…don’t let that Moron’s comment reflect on the rest of us and I won’t let the comment made by the idiot Cubs fan while I was at the Cardinals/Reds Civil Rights game in Cincinnati two years ago reflect on YOU.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Blue: Continued….The most exciting end to any regular season game in memory. Top of the 9th with the Cardinals down two a guy on 2nd (can’t remember who) and Skip on 1st. Hard hit ball struck to the wall in Left. I think it was Heisey who fielded it and threw a B.B. to Orlando Cabrera @ Shortstop who wheeled on the relay to throw a dart to Hannigan at the Plate. Skip is out by a hair at the plate while attempting to score from first and tie the game.
        In the Restroom after the game some Dude (obnoxious Cubs fan) was lamenting the fact that there were not a lot of hot chicks at Great American Ballpark “like there are at Wrigley.” I said…”hot chicks?” “You gotta’ be joking.” “We just witnessed quite possibly the most exciting end to any games in years.” “Only a Cubs fan would say something like that.” “Aside from that most fans in Cincinnati are real baseball fans who are here to actually watch baseball as opposed to trying to get laid at a Club.” “You are just the latest example why I will never attend a Cardinals game at Wrigley.” My skin isn’t thick enough to keep me out of jail. So yeah…don’t let one idiot’s comment reflect on the rest of us and I will do try to do the same for you.

• blueintown - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:13 PM

@STLBB You: “My skin isn’t thick enough to keep me out of jail”.

You’re trying to demonstrate to me your feeling that Cubs fans are obnoxious by saying you don’t think you could attend a baseball game at Wrigley Field without committing an act so egregious it leads to your incarceration? Point taken.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Blue: Ummmmm…NO. A big fat…NO. What I am saying is…I know several people who have been to numerous games at Wrigley who have all illustrated to me how incredibly obnoxious…overbearing…insulting…and literally hostile Cubs fans are (to Cardinals fans at Cardinals/Cubs games in Wrigley). They all pointedly told me these things because they know how I am (as a person). Please don’t missunderstand me.
        By this they mean I do NOT have the ability to walk away when someone pours beer on me or anyone in my group. Spits on me or anyone in my group…or otherwise insults my family in my presense. ALL of these things have happened to people I know.
        Is this a fault of mine? Possibly. But not something I ever care to even work on…let alone change. In a nutshell…when people revert to this type of behavior in my presense I take it upon myself to make sure they don’t do it again. Unfortunately, at Wrigley this means I would end up in Jail. Dissapointing because I have always wanted to take in a Cardinals/Cubs game at Wrigley Field. It’s been a lifelong dream of mine.

• blueintown - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Me: “You’re trying to demonstrate to me your feeling that Cubs fans are obnoxious by saying you don’t think you could attend a baseball game at Wrigley Field without committing an act so egregious it leads to your incarceration?”

You: “NO. A big fat…NO”…”when people revert to this type of behavior in my presense I take it upon myself to make sure they don’t do it again. Unfortunately, at Wrigley this means I would end up in Jail”. Again, point taken.

Go to a game at Wrigley. You’ll be fine. I trust in you that you won’t go to jail. And I promise that Cubs fans who are also at Wrigley Field won’t be too hard on you. Cardinals fans go to Cubs games all the time and — remarkably — they survive. I — a Cubs fan — go to games at Wrigley with my friends who are Cardinals fans all the time. None of them have been to jail yet. The Cardinals fans are also welcome at the fine establishments in the Wrigleyville area pre or post game. Not all Cardinals fans have let the smug proclamation of best fans in baseball go to their head. You have. Adapt.

• cur68 - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Jeez, dude. Chill a bit. S’only baseball. Not like he took the cure for cancer to Anaheim with him.

• randygnyc - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Advocating criminal activity? I guess it’s ok to “occupy” his private property, too. Like he owes YOU anything. This says more about your character than anything else.

• jerseydevi1 - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Damn…to bad we only get one thumbs up…

16. thefalcon123 - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Yeah, people are pissed and their going to be for a while. It doesn’t matter how much more Anaheim offered, Pujols is will be seen as the villain by most and the Cards by a few for not matching the Angels. While it would have been awesome for Albert to go all McGwire and turn down tons more money to stay, it wasn’t a realistic expectation. People will get over it. The Cardinals got the best 11 years of their career out of him. That’s pretty good.

Pujols leaving does really mark the end of the era, the last piece of the MV3 of Rolen (2002-2007), Edmonds (2000-2007) and Pujols (2001-2011). That era saw 8 postseason appearances, three pennants and two world series championships (oddly with the 2 worst teams to make the postseason). It’s sad to see it end.

17. dexterismyhero - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Prince Albert is an Angel…..

18. sjbryce - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:53 AM

St. Louis has had the best player in baseball for the past decade for a relatively cheap contract. After 2 world series championships and countless MVP caliber seasons they won’t ante up. If he’s the best player in baseball as you all have said years, pay the man! You can argue all you want about a hometown discount and how he should have left $30+ million on the table but if he’s the best in baseball, pay him like he’s the best!

• thefalcon123 - Dec 8, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Wrong. They did ante up. The ante up the biggest contract in baseball history for a player not named Rodriguez….

…and then the Angels went all nutso and offered him up to $40 million more. At some point, you have to know when to walk away, and that’s what the Cardinals did.

The Cardinals are in *excellent* shape next year. Wainwright is coming back, Craig will be starting in right with Berkman at first and they can use that money to get a shortstop. I

• sjbryce - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:11 PM

I’m not disagreeing with the cards decision to walk away. I would’ve too if I were their GM. But I’m sick of hearing all the fans saying Albert should have walked away from $30+ mil. It’s easy to say that when we aren’t the ones being offered that kind of money. Fans are complaining about him bolting for more money but if I’m the best player in baseball, I’m going to want to be paid like I am. He was paid well in his last contract, but nowhere near what market value would have been for him. It was time to pay him and they decided not to.

• bcirej - Dec 8, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Wrong! Cardinals did not ante up. They had the best player in baseball and could have given him ARod money and contract length 5-6 years ago. Do you really think that Albert wasn’t comparing himself to that? He is better and should have been paid more. If they had locked him up at 27mil then, he would be a Cardinal until age 36-37, but they paid him as little as they could get away with. Probably why he put that 30mil figure out there before the season, because that is what it would take for the Cardinals to keep him. They undervalued him for years, and then underestimated him that he would take less again.

19. paperlions - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM

This should be the quote of the day, even though it is over 2 years old:

“Do I want to be in St. Louis forever? Of course,” Pujols said. “…People from other teams want to play in St. Louis and they’re jealous that we’re in St. Louis because the fans are unbelievable. So why would you want to leave a place like St. Louis to go somewhere else and make $3 or $4 more million a year? It’s not about the money. I already got my money. It’s about winning and that’s it.

–Albert Pujols, 15 February 2009

• cintiphil - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Well, a guy can change his mind, right?

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Phil: As I have mentioned to you before…I can’t understand (and never will) why YOU would actually want him to leave the NL Central. This guy reflected very well on the NL Central. As a Redlegs fan…I would think you want the best in your division. It reflects well on everyone else as well.
        ***This is the same reason all my buddies (all Redlegs fans)…have sent me texts and voice mails with condolences.*** All lamenting the fact that he is now gone.
        Not only out of the NL Central…but to the stinking AL.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Paper: I can’t thank you enough for that post. I vividly remember him stating that and have been trying to dig it up for the last two hours.

20. Kevin S. - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:05 PM

On the same day their most hated rivals lost the best player in baseball, cubs.com sent me a “Happy Holidays!” email. Coincidence?

• burnsy - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Congrats, that solves everything.

21. shinjodun - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I hope he enjoys his two rings, because he won’t get a third in Anaheim.

The Cardinals are, arguably, the most successful franchise in MLB in the 21st Century (6 division titles, 7 playoff appearances, one of two teams to win multiple World Series in the 21st Century (Boston being the other), one of two teams with three World Series appearances in the 21st Century (Yankees being the other)).

Fewer division titles and playoff appearances than the Yankees, however the second World Series wins should put St. Louis ahead.

• jerseydevi1 - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:27 PM

So is the 21st century 2000 + or 2001+? If it is 2000+ the Yanks have 2 rings. 2000 against the Metropolitans and 2009 against the Phillies….still 2nd to the Yanks, but much closer than the overall numbers.

Just sayin’

• ta192 - Dec 9, 2011 at 1:37 AM

21st Century starts with 2001 (like the Kubrick movie).

22. paperlions - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I would love to see an honest interview with him in 10 yrs to ask if the extra 3-4 million/year were worth it to play for the 2nd most popular team in LA, a fan base that is generally apathetic, and in a time zone that precludes regular national prime time exposure…..especially when about 40% of the extra money will go straight to the state of California because of higher tax rates.

• chew1985 - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:59 PM

The Cardinals treated him like meat as the 2011 season was starting. To him it was public humiliation. He felt a lot less loyalty because of that. This is the result.

• paperlions - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:19 PM

You’re an idiot. Pujols was asking for 10 yrs $300M last off-season and said that he was heading for FA if they didn’t approach that figure.

• Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Dec 8, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I don’t know about a “generally apathetic” fan base … they were fifth in the league in overall attendance and ninth in percentage of seats sold. That’s gotta count for something.

23. uyf1950 - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:20 PM

If you look at the rest of the players in the picture the headline could very well have read:

“Cardinals Turn Their Back on Pujols”

There are always 2 sides to a story or in this case to a picture.

24. cptnew1 - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Things will be fine here in STL. I didn’t want to see him leave either, but it’s not the end of the world. Go get a SS and some OF depth til Allen Craig is ready. Oh by the way, Albert, please reference: James, LeBron…when you’re at home watching baseball in October.

25. chew1985 - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:55 PM

He’s the best player in baseball. The Cardinals should have paid him accordingly, especially considering they’ve had his services at bargain prices so far. Idiots.

• unlost1 - Dec 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM

yeah those bleacher seats are bargains!

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3042)