Dec 8, 2011, 11:55 PM EDT
We’ve published over 50 posts containing mentions of new Angels first baseman Albert Pujols since the Winter Meetings kicked off on Sunday night.
Today, of course, it all came to a head.
In case you missed any of the analysis from our team of writers, here’s a recap of the subjects we’ve broached over the past 12 hours or so relevant to Pujols and his agreement with Anaheim:
And if you want to read a fascinating recap of how the Pujols negotiations went down from start to finish, check out this piece by Bob Nightengale of USA Today. He has the full scoop from agent Dan Lozano.
- The initial deal announcement hits the site. 10 years, $254 million, and a full no-trade clause.
- Craig argues that we shouldn’t resent Pujols for chasing big money in Anaheim. The Cardinals had a chance, and their offer simply didn’t compete.
- A St. Louis Post-Dispatch headline reads “PUJOLS TURNS HIS BACK ON ST. LOUIS”
- Craig sees the contract as a potential albatross down the road for the Angels.
- Gleeman reviews how some of the best hitters in baseball history have fared after age 32.
- Around noon, it is reported that the Marlins’ 10-year offer to Pujols was worth $275 million.
- Pouliot wonders what other moves the Halos will make this winter, beyond Pujols and C.J. Wilson.
- How will Pujols deal with the switch from the National League to the American League and how will he fare in Angel Stadium? Pouliot attempts answers.
- For comparison’s sake, Gleeman examines the largest contracts signed last offseason.
- Based off FanGraphs’ projected dollar values, Pujols’ 11 years in St. Louis were a steal for the Cards.
- With so many star first basemen now in the American League, expect major All-Star snubs in 2012.
- Pouliot gives a few suggestions on what the Angels’ lineup might look like next year.
- MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch says Lozano tried to shop Pujols to the Yankees at one point.
- According to the Post-Dispatch, retail stores in the St. Louis area were giving away their remaining stock of Pujols jerseys and jersey shirts after the announcement.
It’s rare for one player to dominate the news stories on HBT. But nothing about Thursday was common.
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 75
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 62
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 75
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)