Dec 8, 2011, 10:01 AM EDT
Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that Pujols has agreed to sign with the Angels, getting a 10-year contract worth between $250 million and $260 million.
Wow. It didn’t take Jerry Dipoto long to make a huge splash as general manager.
Until now Alex Rodriguez was the only player in baseball history to secure a contract in excess of $200 million and according to Brown the massive deal also includes a full no-trade clause, which was something the Marlins reportedly were never willing to give Pujols.
Making that sort of investment in a 32-year-old first baseman is obviously tremendously risky and it’s tough to blame the Cardinals for not wanting to commit $25 million per season through age 41, but certainly Angels fans aren’t focusing on 2021 right now.
UPDATE: The final tally on Pujols’ deal is $254 million and apparently that wasn’t even the highest offer.
- Ryne Sandberg opines on baseball’s steroid era 19
- Watch David Wells’ perfect game from 15 years ago today 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 61
- Army Lt. Col. surprises daughter on ceremonial first pitch 34
- Bryce Harper in Nationals’ lineup for first time since crashing into right field wall 8
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness