Dec 8, 2011, 1:45 PM EST
UPDATE: Now that the Rule 5 draft is over the player to be named later has been revealed as Double-A right-hander Daniel Turpen, a side-arming reliever who’s a marginal prospect at best.
Kevin Slowey, who fell out of favor in Minnesota after being demoted from the rotation to the bullpen in spring training, has been traded to Colorado for a player to be named later.
Thomas Harding of MLB.com reports that the deal will become official later today.
Slowey was a solid mid-rotation starter for the Twins from 2007-2010, throwing 473 innings with a 4.41 ERA, but he was perhaps unfairly dumped from the rotation in favor of weaker options and then balked at becoming a full-time reliever.
Minnesota has been shopping him since March, so the player to be named later figures to be of minimal value. Slowey is under team control for two more seasons and will likely be in line for around $3 million via the arbitration process despite spending most of the season on the disabled list or in the minors and going 0-8 with a 6.67 ERA in 59 innings for the Twins.
When healthy and happy in his role Slowey is very capable of throwing 175 innings with a four-something ERA and excellent strikeout-to-walk ratios, but as an extreme fly-ball pitcher without overpowering raw stuff Coors Field is probably the worst possible home for him.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)