Dec 8, 2011, 9:40 AM EDT
I got all excited last year and went to the Rule 5 draft. Within three minutes of it starting I realized that it really wasn’t worth it. If you’re a total prospect nut it has a lot of intrigue I suppose, but for most of us it’s only meaningful a couple of years from now if and when anyone in it actually turns into a useful major leaguer.
And it doesn’t happen much. The reason some of us are so able to list of Johan Santana, Josh Hamilton and Dan Uggla as Rule 5 successes is really a function of just how rare such successes there are. The same names have stuck out on that list for a long time now.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 15
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (159)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)