Yu Darvish announces that he will be posted on Thursday

Dec 8, 2011, 1:19 AM EDT

Courtesy of Google’s Japanese-to-English translation service (hey, we’re doing what we can here people) comes this announcement from the personal blog of Japanese right-hander Yu Darvish:

This time, having decided that Darvish posting system to use. The announcement will convey to everyone here, because most of the fans. The baseball team Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters I really appreciate it. However, just because it still took a posting procedure can not speak for more at this stage. I would like the conference will be all fixed.

In other words, Darvish is leaving Nippon Professional Baseball and heading to the major leagues, and will address any questions at a press conference soon. He’ll become available for posting bids on Thursday and is expected to draw offers from some of baseball’s biggest spenders.

Darvish, 25, posted a stellar 18-7 record, 1.44 ERA and 276/36 K/BB ratio across 232 innings this past season for the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters. He had a 1.99 career ERA in seven total NPB seasons.

**********************

UPDATE: Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker has a far better translation of the Darvish blog post and was kind enough to let us use it. Patrick’s site does a great job of tracking NPB headlines. Check it out.

To all the fans, an announcement

At this time, Yu Darvish has decided to use the posting system.

Because I wanted to relay this to the fans first, I am announcing this here.

I greatly appreciate the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters Baseball Club.

Because we’ve only just begun the posting process, I can’t talk about the details now.

I wish to hold a press conference once everything is decided.

Yu Darvish

1. baseballisboring - Dec 8, 2011 at 1:28 AM

I would like the conference will be all fixed, too. Can’t blame him for not speak for more at this stage, though. Let’s see if the Darvish posting system to use.

2. meteor32 - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:18 AM

I love the name Ham Fighters.

• marinersnate - Dec 8, 2011 at 2:40 AM

Always makes me wonder if….

A). Some guy is trying to scrounge up a sandwitch for lunch.

B). Or if two Pigs are fighting over a left-over bit of slop….

NBC should do a special.

• Chris K - Dec 8, 2011 at 3:00 AM

Not to be a stickler, but Japanese teams are named after corporations. The team is actually called the Fighters. The corporation is Nippon Ham.

• Ari Collins - Dec 8, 2011 at 9:14 AM

I know that, but it’s still REALLY fun to think of them as the Ham Fighters from Nippon.

I always think of them as Japanese Jews. The Kosher Krusaders.

3. uyf1950 - Dec 8, 2011 at 5:56 AM

The more and more I read and think about this and also try and look at what has been posted about the Yankees wanting to or trying to get under the luxury tax threshold of $189MM starting in 2014 the more sense Darvish makes for the Yankees. Since only his contract and not the posting fee counts towards the threshold.

If I’m the Yankees and I’m truly interested in signing this guy to say a 6 year contract. I make my posting bid just over $60MM and assume it’s going to take about $66MM over 6 years to sign him to a contract. Total cost about $126MM but only $11MM per year counting towards the luxury tax threshold.

If the Yankees were to sign him I could see where it would be a harbinger of a AJ Burnett trade.

And I have to be honest a starting rotation of: CC, Darvish, Nova, Hughes and Garcia sounds a heck of a lot better to me than CC, AJ, Nova, Hughes and Garcia. Then the Yankees have Noesi, Phelps, Mitchell, Warren, Banuelos and Betances waiting in the wings or possible putting one or more of them (except Banuelos) in a package for a future trade. All sorts of scenarios are possible. Just food for thought.

• whatthehellisansky - Dec 8, 2011 at 8:38 AM

I’d sign up for that no questions asked….

On a diff note – i’ve heard that with the new CBA that the yankees could spend big on international free agents this year- does anyone know the particulars around that?

• uyf1950 - Dec 8, 2011 at 8:57 AM

My understanding and please don’t take this as gospel is that the tax for going over the set limits for draft choices and loss of potential draft choice(s) etc… for international players doesn’t go into effect until June or July of 2012.

• uyf1950 - Dec 8, 2011 at 9:04 AM

whatthehellis… – I think if you click on this link it should answer most of your questions.

• randygnyc - Dec 8, 2011 at 9:07 AM

I’m praying the Yankees get in on this, very aggressively. Offer $75 million posting fee. It’s only money, something they have lots of and like you said, it’s true that the posting fee is not accounted for against the cap.

• Ari Collins - Dec 8, 2011 at 9:17 AM

+1’d because the Yankees SHOULD do this. Not +1’d because I WANT them to.

Also, the Sox have a greater need to stay under the luxury tax, so they MIGHT try for him. And they have Bobby V., who reportedly loves Darvish after facing him many times.

Of course, they also have a potential PR disaster if he fails to translate his skills over here. Unlikely, I believe, but it would look like a double disaster after Daisuke.

4. phillyphreak - Dec 8, 2011 at 7:00 AM

I like the first translation much better.

5. thejokewriter - Dec 8, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Once again, this “whirling Darvish” nonsense is enough to make my head spin!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3281)