Albert Pujols took out newspaper ad to thank Cardinal Nation

Dec 9, 2011, 3:39 PM EDT

Albert Pujols purchased a full-page ad in the St. Louis Post Dispatch today to thank “the city of St. Louis and Cardinal Nation”:

source:

122 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. fearlessleader - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:41 PM

That’s the same letter my lesbian ex wrote me when she dumped me for a guy. Only the details are changed.

• cur68 - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:20 PM

er…um…(pat, pat, pat)…like, uh…that sucks….

• lovesmesomeme - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Dear St. Louis,
      First off I want to thank TLR for not getting another DUI when he found out the news. Oh wait he might still be in a black out, so lets hope he doesnt get another DUI when he FINDS out. Secondly I want to thank me for building a statue of myself for everyone to worship. Third I want to thank God and Dan Lozano for gettin me paid bitche$. Dan didnt need to get me hookers to talk me into signing this one but me and my wife (wink wink) appreciate that he did. Lastly I want to tell all you suckers that dont appreciate what I have done for this city in the way of MVP’s and World Series parades to kiss my Porto Rican a$$.

PS
      Nyjer I will miss making you my bit@h again this year.
      PSS
      Bobby Abreu is looking for work you can root for him for a 1/4 of what it would cost to watch me.

Yours Truly,
      Alberto Pujol$

• cur68 - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Wow. There’s trolling & then there’s this. Clap. Clap. Clap. Jeez….

• JBerardi - Dec 10, 2011 at 11:53 AM

There’s actually some legitimate points in here but they’re hopelessly buried in dickishness.

2. nagrommit - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:43 PM

It’s 3:41pm and it’s taken this long for someone to open a St. Louis newspaper? Wow, print is dead.

• mirmz - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:51 PM

It’s Friday. In St. Louis. Who in St. Louis reads a paper on Budweiser Drinking Day?

• denny65 - Dec 10, 2011 at 1:06 AM

What is this “newspaper” thing you write of?

3. okwhitefalcon - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Nice gesture for sure although a little too soon for me.

4. cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:46 PM

This makes if alright for me. Lets get on with Spring Training then. Bye Bye Albert. Good luck in the AL. I don’t think the Reds have the Angels on the schedule next season.

5. mvp43 - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Signed,

Money grubbing scumbag prick & Deidre

• bozosforall - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Don’t be so bitter. You guys got the productive years. The Angels will get the backend non-productive ones. They did you guys a favor. Now go get Prince Fielder, a younger alternative at 1B that will still hit plenty of HRs for your team.

• 5thbase - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Maybe the owner of the Cardinals could take up your cause and throw together a comic sans response. How dare that big meany treat a business like a business!

• randygnyc - Dec 9, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Ewww! Please don’t scratch that itch in public. Better pick up some Vagasil.

6. agilmore1080 - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Why all the words? He could have just taken a picture of himself giving the city the finger. And it would have been much more honest.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:56 PM

…or a picture of him with the two WS trophies he brought to the city

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:11 PM

• JBerardi - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:58 PM

“He helped, yeah…but he was only a part, and not even the biggest part, of making that happen either time. This is a team sport, and 30+ guys helped bring those trophies to StL each time…not one guy.”

Alright, well if that’s the case then I would ask that Cards fans please knock it off with the hissy fit already.

• Kevin S. - Dec 10, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Are you honestly saying that Pujols wasn’t the biggest part of the ’06 team? You do realize Pujols was the most valuable player in baseball that year, he had more or less two above-average teammates, and his team won its division by a game and a half, right? They don’t even sniff the playoffs without him that year, and quite honestly, I doubt they make the run they made to reach the playoffs this year if he doesn’t regain his form.

• JBerardi - Dec 10, 2011 at 11:57 AM

The Cardinals certainly don’t make the playoffs in ’11 without Pujols and they’re probably a sub-.500 team without him in ’06. Also his career OPS in the playoffs is roughly eight squintillion.

• xavier46 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Or photocopied the Matt Holliday contract and said this is why I left. Take care of your stars and treat them as such. STL treated him as though he would never phathom leaving. In that way the organization basically gave him the finger. That’s pretty honest. Don’t forget the WS trophies. Maybe he could have include the all time STL stats and records to show where he ranks. Don’t be so bitter – the Cards will be happy he is not there in 5 years with that contract.

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:09 PM

No, they treated him as if it wasn’t realistic to pay a 41 yr old player $25M.

• fearlessleader - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Xavier46, perhaps you don’t remember this, but one of the prime reasons that the Cardinals went all-out to sign Holliday was that Pujols was so adamant about wanting a winning team in place if he was going to stick around.

Meanwhile, Holliday’s contract was for a lot less money and fewer years, and he was two years younger than Albert is now when he signed it—so if Albert’s upset that their offers didn’t compare favorably, that says more about him than about the Cards’ front office.

Don’t get me wrong—I desperately wanted them to get a deal done. There aren’t many Cardinal fans who aren’t crushed today. But there also aren’t many who thought it would be anything less than foolhardy to give Pujols the kind of money the Angels just did.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Fearless: Absolutely. Stated he wanted to be shown the organization cares about winning. As if they 10 titles at the time didn’t already indicate that. People seem to forget that though.

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Fearless nailed it….the Holliday signing was in large part driven by Pujols’ public and repeated demands that the Cardinals stay competitive if they want him to stay.

Pujols leaving was much more about Pujols’ ego and him needing a new group of people to adore him than it was about anything else.

I sure won’t miss the hypocrisy of him talking about playing the game the right way and then watching him walk to 1B while the defense turns a double play.

• sasquash20 - Dec 10, 2011 at 1:13 AM

What you mean the greatest baseball fans in the world are really just spoiled bitches that cry when a player leaves for a shit ton of more money? What a joke, you ungrateful loser fans.

• petesdragon - Dec 16, 2011 at 4:27 PM

He wants his cake with a world series ring decoration and to be able to eat it too. Hey Albert Love and Appreciation are repaid in kind. Just because your manager told you that putting a letter in the newspaper would make us (your heretofore fans) feel better doesn’t mean we feel any better about this whole thing. You’re on the downside of your career and somehow you have convinced the Angels that you’re still a young pup with lots of potential. Rots of ruck LA. Keep that wheelchair handy.

7. mondzy805 - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Don’t hate the Man. Classy move. Welcome to the Westcoast, Albert.

• petesdragon - Dec 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM

CLASSY? What an idiot! Only someone from LA would think this was classy. That may be the way you do business out there but we still have hearts in the midwest.

8. stlouis1baseball - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Yeah…nice gesture. One I would expect. I am surprised at how soon it appeared though. He may have very well had this written ahead of time knowing there was a possibility he may be leaving.

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Eh, these things feel like empty gestures now. Every single player/GM/coach that had a long run in a city does it…they feel like PR moves written by PR firms out of a sense of duty rather than appreciation.

Maybe that isn’t fair…but that is the way it feels when such things are so common.

• JBerardi - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:02 PM

“they feel like PR moves written by PR firms out of a sense of duty rather than appreciation.”

Uhh, yeah. I estimate the chances that Pujols wrote this himself at roughly 0%. WIth a margin of error of plus or minus 0%.

• bluesfan58 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Bryan Burwell of the Post-Dispatch wrote a good article this morning, questioning the Cardinals’ front office approach to the negotiations. I agree that they could have and should have tried harder to lock AP up a year or two ago. Quite frankly, I think AP felt disrespected by the approach taken, and it seems clear to me that he wanted out (barring a last-minute $300m deal from STL) simply to make a point to the front office. His full-page “letter to the fans” printed in the Post-Dispatch this morning had to have been PRE-prepared some time ago in anticipation of his move somewhere different, and was ready last night to make this morning’s edition (Lozano probably e-mailed it to the paper the minute AP agreed to terms with the Angels) — a final slap in Mozeliak’s face. As a Cardinal fan, I will miss Albert (as we all will for probably the next 2-3 seasons), but the front office will quickly regain our respect and show some smarts if they use some of the money saved on Albert and re-invest that in the team by seeking some other quality free agents.

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Agents have PR firms on retainer or have PR people that work for them. It would take one about 30 minutes to write this up and send it off….no need for it to be done ahead of time….it isn’t like AP sat down and wrote it himself.

• bluesfan58 - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM

What? Those aren’t Albert’s OWN words…from his heart? Say it isn’t so…

9. cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Aw come on now. Lets get over this. It has been talked about enough. This is not like Hitler bombing London or anything like it. What do you want, all the great players? Give the rest of the teams a chance. No need to be mean. You can still see him in the off season, right?

• bozosforall - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:56 PM

The Cards got the productive years. The Angels will get the backend non-productive ones. They did you guys a favor. Now go get Prince Fielder, a younger alternative at 1B that will still hit plenty of HRs for your team.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Phil: Don’t give us that shit. You were okay then when Pete bolted for Philly…right?

• cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I will be very honest. I never like the guy, although I appreciated his play. I did like him early in his career, but when he boled over a young talented catcher ending his career for a stupid All Star game, that did it. I saw him for what he was then and now. Not many in Cinti agreed with me, but hie is just a dumb egotistical idiot who ONLY thinks of himself and not, NOT his team. I agree that Albert is far superior as a player and as a human being.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Phil: I do NOT believe you.

• cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Well, line up, because most of my friends are on your side. They think he is great. Go figure. he is a dumbbell. That is IT! and a crook!

• cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Oh I almost forgot. I hope he NEVER is voted into the hall also.

10. thevandalen - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Would you take more money to work the same job in a better location? I would.

Pujols saved the Cardinals hundreds of millions of dollars, helped them to two championships and now saves them from financially handicapping themselves with a monster contract. What does Pujols owe St. Louis?

• cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I agree that this may be a money saving move for the redbirds, but not necessarily a good one. And, who says it is a financially strapped team? They have a lot more money than the Reds, or most other MLB teams.

• Thunder Chicken - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:04 PM

A full page ad in the Post Dispatch, nothing more. Here’s wishing him well on the West Coast.

• zman801 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:05 PM

I bend over to pick up a penny…supposedly its a good luck sign. He left for $30,000,000.00 or more! This was a no brainer. I have been a Card’s fan since ’64 and hated to see him leave but you said it best. Based on what he has done in the past, a lot of this money will be used for good causes.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Alex VanHalen: Apples-Oranges. Someone making $30,000 – $40,000 – $50,000 a year who is literally living paycheck-to-paycheck does NOT correlate. The Man has already made more monies in his career than he (his children…his grand-children…his grandchildrens grandchildren and his High School classmates could ever spend). He essentially bolted for $3.4 million more per year…to CALIFORNIA. Yeah…it’s a business decision. Therefore, how does the cost of living in California compare to Missouri? How do the sales, property and income taxes in California compare to Missouri? With this in mind…read this quote. Kind of ironic how he specifically mentions not leaving for $3-$4 Million more per year.

“Do I want to be in St. Louis forever? Of course,” Pujols said. “.People from other teams want to play in St. Louis and they’re jealous that we’re in St. Louis because the fans are unbelievable. So why would you want to leave a place like St. Louis to go somewhere else and make $3 or $4 more million a year? It’s not about the money. I already got my money. It’s about winning and that’s it.”

-Albert Pujols, 15 February 2009

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Then it does mean it wasn’t about the money; after taxes and factoring in cost of living it would make more financial sense to stay in St. Louis.

• fearlessleader - Dec 9, 2011 at 6:32 PM

Francisco—no, it means it wasn’t about the spending power of the money; it was about the symbolic power of the money.

• JBerardi - Dec 10, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Do I want to be in [City X] forever? Of course,” [Athlete Y] said. “.People from other teams want to play in [City X] and they’re jealous that we’re in [City X] because the fans are unbelievable. So why would you want to leave a place like [City X] to go somewhere else and make $3 or $4 more million a year? It’s not about the money. I already got my money. It’s about winning and that’s it.

-Every Athlete Everywhere, all the time, forever and ever

FTFY

11. bmoreballer023 - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:56 PM

If lebron did the same thing for cleveland, do you think it would’ve hurt less? I don’t think so. Leaving for money is no different than leaving to play for your homies. At the end of the day the fans of St. Louis see you as a backstabbing prick and you my friend have to live with that

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Once the Cards fans get all of their anger out they’ll realize he gave the best years of his career to them, along with 2 championships. For now you can go ahead and call him a sellout or a turncoat or greedy, but don’t you think ‘backstabbing prick’ is a bit much?

• blueintown - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:20 PM

I’m sure Albert and his $250 million will be able to live with hatred from a bunch of people he doesn’t know just fine.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Yeah Blue…and you would have been perfectly fine if Ryne lied to you repeatedly then left for 10%-12% more BEFORE taxes and/or cost of living expenses. I mean…it’s a business decision and the Man is standing in the free cheese line for crying out loud.

• blueintown - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:47 PM

It’s only a lie because you bought it. I’ll say it again: THEY ALL SAY THE SAME THING. “It’s all about winning, I want to be here for life, blah blah blah..” Anytime a player says something like that, you should immediately translate it in your head as him saying to management “Make it happen”. Ryne never had the opportunity to lie to me, nor tell me the truth. I don’t know Ryne. He doesn’t know me. I don’t have some magical connection with him, he’s not “one of us”. Like Albert Pujols, he is a guy that plays ball for a living, and when his contract expires, he is free to sign a contract elsewhere if he so chooses.

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:53 PM

No, lies are lies whether anyone believes them or not. Pujols said what he said and no one’s opinion of the words make them mean something different.

I think what happened is that Pujols’ ego has been bruised by his fall from the pinnacle (he knows he isn’t the player he was 3-6 yrs ago and is sensitive to that decline) and that mere adoration simply was no longer satisfying to him…he needed more than respect or praise…he needed to feel like he was someone the team/city/franchise could not do without….and when the FO didn’t respond like he wanted them to, his ego was bruised.

• blueintown - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM

*I should say Ryne played baseball

• blueintown - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:01 PM

paper – you may be right about the bruised ego. But he doesn’t NEED anything. He wanted a ton of money, and he got it. All this stuff about how the fans feel about him and his ties to the city and his charitable work and this and that is nonsense. He took the best contract offered. As he should have. As anyone would have. You would take the extra $40 mil, I would take the extra $40 mil, everyone would. People take raises every damn day.

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Actually, I’m a bad example. I am too tired of moving, I wouldn’t have taken the extra $40M….in fact, I still work where I do and refuse to pursue tenure track positions because I love the place I live….and a raise to me would make a much bigger difference in my life than it will to Pujols.

People are not pissed that Pujols took the most money, people are just pissed that he said he didn’t care about the money and then cared only about the money. People don’t like being lied to…because if someone lies to you once, you can never take what they say at face value again.

Pujols may look forward to living the rest of his life in StL, but he shouldn’t be surprised when he is never again treated the way he was before.

• blueintown - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I think we’re just disagreeing on semantics here, paper. I know Pujols said all those things. But they’re general statements directed subtly towards management that fans take as personal messages. Pujols doesn’t know any of you, and none of you know Pujols. Therefor, he didn’t lie “to” you. I get what you’re saying though. It’s difficult to reconcile perceived kinship with $200+ mil contracts.

• petesdragon - Dec 16, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Ya it’s a business thing. That’s the ticket. When I got my lowball offer on my house that had been on the market for a year, my realtor keep saying it was just business. She kept saying that but all I heard was “you’re getting screwed, you’re getting screwed”. She got her commission and I got screwed.

12. fhuizar - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Welcome to Anahiem Al, look forward to seeing you play at Angel Stadium. Orange County is a beautiful place to end your career.

13. canucks18 - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:59 PM

The people of St.Lousi should appreciate that they were able to witness who will be one of the greatest players of all time, in the city for 11 cities. The majority teams and fans in baseball, hockey, football, soccer never get experience these types of players. This is a very classy move by Pujols and the fans of St.Louis should show him some respect for all the Hall of Fame worthy seasons he has brought to the Cardinal Nation.

• sasquash20 - Dec 10, 2011 at 1:22 AM

Well said. But these fans are spoiled cry babies.

14. thevandalen - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:09 PM

BUT, LIKE… YOU GUYS STILL HAVE DAVID FREESE!

15. metalhead65 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:12 PM

wow I bet that cost him alott of money to have that printed,think he can afford it? he could have saved money and paper just by saying thanks for the memories but it was about the money but yu can continue to worship me in the off season if you see me around town. like he will be spending winters in St. Louis.

16. jphoops - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:13 PM

Uh, I’m going to take my talents to the angels because I only make 2 billion on the cards but now on the angels I make 3 billion! Lol :)

17. Lukehart80 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Rogers Hornsby started his career with the Cardinals and over 11 seasons (1916-1926) put together 91 rWAR (Pujols has 89 rWAR after 11 seasons).

At the age of 31, Hornsby began playing for another team. He had 3 more great years. But then, from the age of 34 until he ended his career at age 41, Hornsby compiled a total of 7 rWAR over 8 seasons.

St. Louis fans, do you wish the Cardinals had paid Hornsby $22M a pop for those last 8 years?

• cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Different times, and different pay schedules. Don’t confuse the two. Most of these old timers played for nothing. When they retired, most of them were poor again. All of them had to get work elsewhere to survive. And, who said the people didn’t get upset? Were you there? We were as little upset here in Cinti when we lost some big time players too, and none of them were Albert. It doesn’t matter to me, but I understand why St. Lou is feeling bad. I would have really been ticked if Bench had left us in the lurch in the middle of his career. (For a few bucks)

• Lukehart80 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:57 PM

I understand why people feel bad. I’m an Indians fans, so I’ve watched plenty of players move on because of money, I know that it sucks. But many people are losing any kind of perspective here. He played the best years of his career in St. Louis, was the best player in baseball over those years, and is the biggest reason for two World Series flags that will fly forever. That should all be more than enough to have earned him Cardinal fans’ undying love.

And from a strictly wins and losses perspective, the team can probably find a better use for $220M over the next ten years.

18. kjkulsrud - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:31 PM

In case you haven’t noticed… baseball, just the same as all other major sports is a business. Yes, the players love playing the game, but ultimately they wouldn’t be doing it if it weren’t for the money. If they only made average salaries for people without college educations I promise you there would be a drastic different in the league. I am a MN Twins fan, if Mauer left, would I bitch? No… because it’s a business and players are ultimately going to go where they can make the most money. (Also, don’t make the typical Mauer jokes… heard them all)

If you are a Cards fan, be happy you had a world class player and person like Pujols to begin with. Quit bitching about him making a decision to make more money and move to a new location… any one of us would have done the same thing. There are plenty of people making the comparison to our salaries…

Job Option A: You stay at your current company where you are making 50K per year and are guaranteed that money for the next 9 years until you are 40…

Job Option B: You move to a new company in a warmer climate and bigger market to make 62.5K per year and are guaranteed that money for the next 10 year until you are 41…

Do the math, it comes down to business and money. Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

• fearlessleader - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:44 PM

All these people who say “I wouldn’t complain if my favorite player left!” are mystifying to me. Seems to me that that’s code for either “I’m full of crap” or “I’m not all that passionate about my team.”

• Lukehart80 - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I think you can be upset about it without having to trash Pujols for making a decision that he feels is what’s best for him and his family.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM

KJK: Again…apples-to-oranges. I have NOT made enough monies thus far in my career to where I could never possibly spend it all. To where my kids, grandchildren and great grandchildren could never possibly spend it all. $3.4 million dollars per year does NOT stack up in California (cost of living wise, sales tax wise, property tax wise OR income tax wise) to the state of Missouri.
      After all…if it’s a business decision this has to be considered as well.
      Oh…and most importantly….I haven’t told anyone that I have already made my money, want to stay w/ my employer for life and only care about winning.
      Not only have I NOT said it once…I have NOT said it repeatedly.
      One last thing…when someone says something as antiquated as “don’t hate the player, hate the game” I immediately think…”this person has never been laid in their life.”

• cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Very funny. However, I think that KJK is a woman. That is how they think. You know how it goes. “You had your turn and now let johnny have his.” This blog is the best yet. I my not go to bed reading this stuff.

• cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Oh never mind. I have to get ready to go out for dinner in 1/2 hour. You guys/gals carry on.

• fearlessleader - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:22 PM

“I think that KJK is a woman. That is how they think” ??

Uh, what?

• cur68 - Dec 9, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I think cintiphil is a dolt. That’s just how they think.

• ftbramwell - Dec 10, 2011 at 9:45 AM

No, it’s not. The extra $12.5k isn’t going to make much difference to someone making $50,000.

Does an extra $30 million make much of a difference to someone making $220 million? Yes, in the sense that if I want to start a business, I can take the $30 million to a bank who will then lend me an $150 million. The concept is called “leverage.” And if you don’t understand that concept, you really shouldn’t be commenting on matters of money.

19. cup0pizza - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Well, it was a nicer good-bye printed in the paper than Milton Bradley’s in Chicago. I’ll give Pujols that much.

20. orangeflh - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:41 PM

I wonder if “the classiest fans alive” will still defend Albert when he admires every flyball he hits, albeit in a different uniform. I’m guessing they won’t. Oh, the hypocrisy…

• thefalcon123 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:45 PM

No, I absolutely will not. I though it was moderately douchey when it did it with the Cardinals (especially when he did it with 375 foot flyouts, which happened more often than you’d think). But, yes, baseball fans are very hypocritical about stuff like that. To me, Chris Carpenter is a “competitor” and “fiery”. I’m certain the second I watched him pull that crap with another team, he’d be “a real dickbag” and need to “mellow the fuck out”.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Oh there is NO doubt about it Falcon. I would despise Carp if he were on another team.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Roger Clemens is the epitome of this behavior. Like/Love him when he was pitching for you, want to see him burn in hell when he wasn’t.

• cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Let me reply for the last time. Honest! I don’t like Carpenter, because the Reds can’t beat him. I agree that he is a very good pitcher and has talent beyond my understanding. He may be a great guy to have a beer with, and his ability is undeniable. However, we hate to see him on the mound. So there is nothing personal about it. You guys are making personal comments about the greatest player in our time. I.E. He lied/doesn’t care/ liar/liar etc. I like the guy (Albert) and he beat the snot out of the Reds. I will still like him (better) in LA. Get over it and give him the credit he deserves. Who knows, you may end up winning the central or NL in the end.

• sasquash20 - Dec 10, 2011 at 1:25 AM

Right on orangeflh. These fans are pathetic.

21. thefalcon123 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Look, unless Albert personally hugs me and says he still loves me and that’s it’s not my fault but that sometimes people who love each other very much grow apart and I will sleep over ever other weekend, I can never forgive him.

That said, how much does a full page newspaper ad cost now days? Couldn’t Albert have put his big “thanks” to the city of St. Louis somewhere where people would actually see it? How about at the beginning of on of those Transformers movies…people seem to watch that for some unfathomable reason.

Best of luck to Albert. And by best of luck, here’s to hoping he does really well but that the Angels suck, cause screw those guys.

• fearlessleader - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Well said, falcon. :)

I’m weary of being lectured on my emotional response to this deal. Baseball thrives precisely BECAUSE it encourages us to fall in love with our favorite players and teams, and to believe against our better judgment that they love us back. If you’re not grief-stricken when your favorite player ditches you for a richer guy, then perhaps you weren’t a true fan to begin with, by my St. Louis-honed (and admittedly non-objective) standards.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I am with you Fearless.

• stex52 - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:13 PM

You don’t need to tell me. I fell in love with Carlos Beltran in half a season with the Astros. Look how that worked out.

Two years later when Wainwright buckled his knees in the NLCS, I finally started to heal.

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM

As I commented to Fearlessleader yesterday, it’s not you–it’s him.

22. stex52 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I’m going to follow a little in what kjk just said, but after a night of reflection here are my thoughts:

We are fans. We have been with the team a long time. When a player plays for our team, we see him in the press, we watch him go to charity events, we watch him develop as a player – and to some extent as an adult person. We start to think there is a personal connection between him and us.

There isn’t.

The player went through the amateur draft, the years of riding around the Appalachians in a team bus with barely enough per diem to make his meals. His family – if he started one early – went through it with him. Now he plays his multiple years of indentured servitude at the Majors level so that he can finally negotiate his own deal. They may love the game and they may respond to us fans, but this is their business and their livelihood. And it won’t last long. I’ve been an engineer for nearly 40 years and have a decent pension. These guys generally do what they are goinng to do in ten years or fewer, then it’s out into the world.

It may sting, but as long as a player conducts his business with honesty (I’m talking to you Scott Boras), we need to find a way to respect their choices.

23. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Now that we all hate Pudgles, does this mean we can start in again with the baseless claims of birth certificate fraud and PED accusations?

Seriously though, fan rage needs no logic behind it. ARod chose Texas as a FA, gave them some of the best seasons any player has ever given a team, and then got traded. Why do the fans hate on him? He didn’t trade himself…but hate on him they do.

There is no escape from irrational fan loathing. What would really be fun is if Albert embraced the loathing and became a baseball villain.

• fearlessleader - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Ask the Brewers…..they’ll tell you he already is.

24. stoutfiles - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:57 PM

100 bucks says Albert didn’t write this, just some PR guy and Albert signed off on it.

• thefalcon123 - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Yeah, unless he includes it with a photo of him crying, we can’t possibly take it as sincere.

• cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Can’t you guys get over it? I don’t hear the Brewer fans crying about Prince leaving for ANYONE else! And, he didn’t write a letter or have one written. Lets stop it.

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:15 PM

First, Fielder is not in the same class of player as Pujols.

Second, Fielder has always been honest and said he was going to FA for the biggest payday he could get….he never blew smoke up their asses about staying for less money.

• cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Yes, I do get it. But things change, and so did Albert. Maybe the Angels had a better salesman.

• thefalcon123 - Dec 9, 2011 at 8:26 PM

“Can’t you guys get over it?”–

–Apologies, I was making a humor-joke in an effort to make fun of stout. It clearly went over like a lead balloon. Bob Newhart I’m not.

25. Tick - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Just remember….if any of you ever get a better job offer than the one you have now, you’re a dick if you take it.

• fearlessleader - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Interesting how many people just assume that “better job offer” and “more lucrative job offer” are one and the same. I haven’t generally found that to be true in my line of work, perhaps because I get paid to do something I love. If I ditched my current job, which everyone knows I adore and intend to remain loyal to, for an offer of 10% more money, and then said “Sorry, just a business decision”…..yeah, I’d be a dick.

So, maybe Pujols didn’t love his job in St. Louis the way I love mine. Okay, fair enough. But then we’re back to feeling duped because of all the times he told us differently.

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:45 PM

No, but if you tell everyone, including your boss, that you love working there so much that you’ll stay there even if someone offers you more money….but then you decide one day that money = respect and your little ego get’s bruised and you feel unloved because your company won’t immediately match any and all outside offer you get and you leave for the same job (arguably a worse job) for more money….then yeah, you are a dick…..and one day down the road, you will wish you had swallowed your pride, taken stock of all of the things in life that are important other than money, and stayed at your old job….because those old friends of yours, they’re gone, you left them.

• Tick - Dec 9, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Maybe he did take stock of his life and decide what was really important to him. Maybe he feels he’s accomplished everything there is to accomplish in St Louis and that in order to prove that he is truly an all-time great, and make himself happy, that he needs to go to a new team and see if he can reach the same levels of success. Maybe you people feel that complacency and doing the safe thing is the right thing to do, but not everyone feels that way. Some people like to push themselves with new challenges.
        Or maybe he just wanted more money. Whatever.
        If the Cardinals truly loved him as much as THEY said and wanted him there, they would’ve done whatever it took and rewarded him for what he’s meant to them. AND they could’ve done it sooner than this year.

BTW, I love reading you people that claimed you wanted him in St Louis, but have quickly turned to saying he wasn’t worth whatever deal he would’ve got.

• fearlessleader - Dec 9, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Of course I wanted to keep him in St. Louis, Tick, but not for a quarter of a billion dollars. (And if you think Pujols and Lozano would have settled for significantly less than that a year or two ago, you’re almost certainly incorrect.)

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5044)