Bobby Abreu could be “odd man out” for Angels after Albert Pujols signing

Dec 9, 2011, 1:01 PM EDT

Bobby Abreu AP

Albert Pujols‘ arrival means the Angels have a logjam of first basemen, corner outfielders, and designated hitters, and while trading Mark Trumbo would bring back the most in return Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times speculates that “the odd man out would probably be Bobby Abreu.”

Not only won’t the Angels be able to get much in exchange for Abreu, they’ll likely have to eat the majority of his $9 million salary just to move the 37-year-old for anything at all.

General manager Jerry Dipoto and manager Mike Scioscia have talked about Trumbo possibly moving to third base, which would lessen the logjam considerably, but his odds of being even passable there defensively seem pretty slim. Kendrys Morales‘ health is also a big factor, although the Angels may end up non-tendering him if he doesn’t show major progress soon.

Abreu has seen his OPS drop from .843 to .825 to .787 to .717 in the past four seasons, but he still has very good on-base skills and could help quite a few teams as a designated hitter or part-time outfielder if the price was low enough.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Dec 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM

Abreau hitting in front of Pujols would probably help his numbers improve. He still has a great eye and his career .398 OBP is just sick.

2. spudchukar - Dec 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Hey, maybe the Cards can pick him up for cheap. A little salt in the wound.

3. Alex K - Dec 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM

At this point shouldn’t they just DFA Vernon Wells? Is he that much better with the glove than Abreu to make up for the awful hitting? Abreu’s no great shakes anymore, either, but he is better than Wells.

I know salary has something to do with why they won’t DFA him, but wouldn’t it make life a lot easier?

• Kyle - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM

They should. They won’t.

4. siftin thru nonsense - Dec 9, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I’d rather have Abreu than Laynce Nix on the Phils, but I guess it is too late. Bobby doesnt go all out though and is not really a team player. Bobby keeps his uniform clean. King of the pop up slide. What salary is he commanding these days?

• SmackSaw - Dec 9, 2011 at 2:11 PM

$9 million salary…as it states in the article. Less siftin more readin’.

5. theonlynolan - Dec 9, 2011 at 1:57 PM

I wonder how much consideration Abreu will get for the HOF. He’s got an interesting case.

• paperlions - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:00 PM

He’ll probably get less consideration than he should, and he should be in line behind Edmonds and Lofton, but I’m not sure any of those guys make it because of the cartoon numbers that were being put up during their era.

• mrfloydpink - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:08 PM

He is at best, I would say, a borderline candidate. 58.7 bWAR, which is good (and better than some HoFers) but nowhere near slam dunk. And he doesn’t really have any “extra credit” that would give more weight to that number–MVPs, WS rings, etc.

Though a borderline candidate, who might reasonably expect 20% to 30% of the votes, I think he will get zero consideration. We know that HoF voters prefer specialists to generalists. Abreu has been good at many things, but not outstanding at any (except OBP, which HoF voters don’t yet seem to value). His counting stats (2384 hits, 284 HR, 393 SB) are underwhelming for an OF and, fair or not, he doesn’t have a reputation as a defensive whiz. Just very hard for me to see many BBWAA voters becoming enamored of him. Plus, assuming current trends hold, he will be on a VERY crowded ballot.

• theonlynolan - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:12 PM

I feel pretty much the same way. For me Lofton and Edmonds should get in and Abreu is a tough case who ends up on the outside looking in. Seems like around 60 WAR is the line for HOFs and he’s right there.

• mrfloydpink - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I’m pretty much with you, Lofton 1, Edmonds 2, Abreu 3. The only place we may differ is where the line is drawn–I might leave Edmonds out. I looked at his numbers the other day, and it’s a very close call. I am still not sure where I stand.

Of course, in a world where Jim Rice is HoF, all three guys clear the bar.

• theonlynolan - Dec 9, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Edmonds is in for me. 2000 hits 400 homers and a .900 OPS from an above average defensive CF. 68 fWAR. For me he gets the nod.

6. mojosmagic - Dec 9, 2011 at 2:08 PM

HOF? None.

• theonlynolan - Dec 9, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Well, I’m glad that’s settled. Did you even bother to look at the numbers or are you just going with, “I know a hall of famer when I see one.” That’s always the best way to tackle the issue.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 9, 2011 at 2:37 PM

If his splits last year are any indication, Wells could use a platoon mate when facing RHP. Keep Bobby around and platoon the two. It would give the Angels more value than paying Bobby to play for someone else. Most expensive platoon ever? Probably, but those are sunk costs. Might as well use them to the best advantage.

The important thing, though, is that they got rid of Napoli.

8. yournuts - Dec 9, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Bobby Abreu would be a great pickup for the Giants. The Giants would have to throw in some pitching, but Bobby would fit right in.

9. purnellmeagrejr - Dec 10, 2011 at 7:29 AM

shame about Morales. who could have figured?

Three legends off to Cooperstown