Dec 9, 2011, 1:01 PM EDT
Albert Pujols‘ arrival means the Angels have a logjam of first basemen, corner outfielders, and designated hitters, and while trading Mark Trumbo would bring back the most in return Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times speculates that “the odd man out would probably be Bobby Abreu.”
Not only won’t the Angels be able to get much in exchange for Abreu, they’ll likely have to eat the majority of his $9 million salary just to move the 37-year-old for anything at all.
General manager Jerry Dipoto and manager Mike Scioscia have talked about Trumbo possibly moving to third base, which would lessen the logjam considerably, but his odds of being even passable there defensively seem pretty slim. Kendrys Morales‘ health is also a big factor, although the Angels may end up non-tendering him if he doesn’t show major progress soon.
Abreu has seen his OPS drop from .843 to .825 to .787 to .717 in the past four seasons, but he still has very good on-base skills and could help quite a few teams as a designated hitter or part-time outfielder if the price was low enough.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)