Dec 9, 2011, 1:01 PM EDT
Albert Pujols‘ arrival means the Angels have a logjam of first basemen, corner outfielders, and designated hitters, and while trading Mark Trumbo would bring back the most in return Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times speculates that “the odd man out would probably be Bobby Abreu.”
Not only won’t the Angels be able to get much in exchange for Abreu, they’ll likely have to eat the majority of his $9 million salary just to move the 37-year-old for anything at all.
General manager Jerry Dipoto and manager Mike Scioscia have talked about Trumbo possibly moving to third base, which would lessen the logjam considerably, but his odds of being even passable there defensively seem pretty slim. Kendrys Morales‘ health is also a big factor, although the Angels may end up non-tendering him if he doesn’t show major progress soon.
Abreu has seen his OPS drop from .843 to .825 to .787 to .717 in the past four seasons, but he still has very good on-base skills and could help quite a few teams as a designated hitter or part-time outfielder if the price was low enough.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 66
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)