Dec 9, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins has been linked to the Cardinals following Albert Pujols‘ departure, but Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that they “would be reluctant to enter the bidding for Rollins” unless he backs off demands for a five-year deal.
Philadelphia is also said to be very much against the idea of giving Rollins a five-year commitment at age 33, so the shortstop changing his stance may be inevitable.
Allen Craig is expected to replace Pujols in St. Louis’ lineup, but he’ll likely miss at least the first month or two of the season following knee surgery and Goold writes that the Cardinals “have explored what the market is for outfielder Carlos Beltran.”
Beltran’s name has been connected to surprisingly few suitors this offseason, so if the price was right on a one- or two-year deal he’d be an excellent pickup for the Cardinals.
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 8
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 59
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 27
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)