Dec 9, 2011, 6:47 PM EST
6:47 p.m. EST update: The San Francisco Chronicle’s Susan Slusser says the deal is done. The A’s are getting RHP Jarrod Parker, OF Collin Cowgill and RHP Ryan Cook from the A’s for Cahill and LHP Craig Breslow.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Diamondbacks are “close” to acquiring right-hander Trevor Cahill from the A’s for multiple prospects, adding that right-hander Jarrod Parker and outfielder Collin Cowgill are “in play.”
However, Bob Nightengale of USA Today says Parker “is not in a potential deal” because Arizona plans to have him in the Opening Day rotation.
Top prospect Trevor Bauer isn’t eligible to be traded yet because he was the No. 3 overall pick in June’s draft, although technically he could be a “player to be named later.”
Cahill made the All-Star team as a 22-year-old in 2010, throwing 197 innings with a 2.97 ERA, but his secondary numbers suggested he was pitching over his head a bit and he took a step backward this year with a 4.16 ERA and 147/82 K/BB ratio in 208 innings. Still, as a 24-year-old starter with a 3.91 career ERA under team control through 2017 the price is going to be steep.
Parker came back strong after missing all of 2010 following Tommy John elbow surgery and the 2007 first-round pick was recently ranked by Baseball America as the Diamondbacks’ fourth-best prospect. Cowgill, who was Arizona’s fifth-round pick in 2008 and made his big-league debut in July, was originally drafted by Oakland out of high school in 2007 but didn’t sign.
UPDATE: Rosenthal adds that veteran reliever Craig Breslow would also be heading to Arizona in the deal.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 68
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 37
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)