Dec 9, 2011, 6:47 PM EDT
6:47 p.m. EST update: The San Francisco Chronicle’s Susan Slusser says the deal is done. The A’s are getting RHP Jarrod Parker, OF Collin Cowgill and RHP Ryan Cook from the A’s for Cahill and LHP Craig Breslow.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Diamondbacks are “close” to acquiring right-hander Trevor Cahill from the A’s for multiple prospects, adding that right-hander Jarrod Parker and outfielder Collin Cowgill are “in play.”
However, Bob Nightengale of USA Today says Parker “is not in a potential deal” because Arizona plans to have him in the Opening Day rotation.
Top prospect Trevor Bauer isn’t eligible to be traded yet because he was the No. 3 overall pick in June’s draft, although technically he could be a “player to be named later.”
Cahill made the All-Star team as a 22-year-old in 2010, throwing 197 innings with a 2.97 ERA, but his secondary numbers suggested he was pitching over his head a bit and he took a step backward this year with a 4.16 ERA and 147/82 K/BB ratio in 208 innings. Still, as a 24-year-old starter with a 3.91 career ERA under team control through 2017 the price is going to be steep.
Parker came back strong after missing all of 2010 following Tommy John elbow surgery and the 2007 first-round pick was recently ranked by Baseball America as the Diamondbacks’ fourth-best prospect. Cowgill, who was Arizona’s fifth-round pick in 2008 and made his big-league debut in July, was originally drafted by Oakland out of high school in 2007 but didn’t sign.
UPDATE: Rosenthal adds that veteran reliever Craig Breslow would also be heading to Arizona in the deal.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 62
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 50
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)