Dec 9, 2011, 6:47 PM EDT
6:47 p.m. EST update: The San Francisco Chronicle’s Susan Slusser says the deal is done. The A’s are getting RHP Jarrod Parker, OF Collin Cowgill and RHP Ryan Cook from the A’s for Cahill and LHP Craig Breslow.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Diamondbacks are “close” to acquiring right-hander Trevor Cahill from the A’s for multiple prospects, adding that right-hander Jarrod Parker and outfielder Collin Cowgill are “in play.”
However, Bob Nightengale of USA Today says Parker “is not in a potential deal” because Arizona plans to have him in the Opening Day rotation.
Top prospect Trevor Bauer isn’t eligible to be traded yet because he was the No. 3 overall pick in June’s draft, although technically he could be a “player to be named later.”
Cahill made the All-Star team as a 22-year-old in 2010, throwing 197 innings with a 2.97 ERA, but his secondary numbers suggested he was pitching over his head a bit and he took a step backward this year with a 4.16 ERA and 147/82 K/BB ratio in 208 innings. Still, as a 24-year-old starter with a 3.91 career ERA under team control through 2017 the price is going to be steep.
Parker came back strong after missing all of 2010 following Tommy John elbow surgery and the 2007 first-round pick was recently ranked by Baseball America as the Diamondbacks’ fourth-best prospect. Cowgill, who was Arizona’s fifth-round pick in 2008 and made his big-league debut in July, was originally drafted by Oakland out of high school in 2007 but didn’t sign.
UPDATE: Rosenthal adds that veteran reliever Craig Breslow would also be heading to Arizona in the deal.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 153
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (159)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)