Dec 9, 2011, 6:47 PM EDT
6:47 p.m. EST update: The San Francisco Chronicle’s Susan Slusser says the deal is done. The A’s are getting RHP Jarrod Parker, OF Collin Cowgill and RHP Ryan Cook from the A’s for Cahill and LHP Craig Breslow.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Diamondbacks are “close” to acquiring right-hander Trevor Cahill from the A’s for multiple prospects, adding that right-hander Jarrod Parker and outfielder Collin Cowgill are “in play.”
However, Bob Nightengale of USA Today says Parker “is not in a potential deal” because Arizona plans to have him in the Opening Day rotation.
Top prospect Trevor Bauer isn’t eligible to be traded yet because he was the No. 3 overall pick in June’s draft, although technically he could be a “player to be named later.”
Cahill made the All-Star team as a 22-year-old in 2010, throwing 197 innings with a 2.97 ERA, but his secondary numbers suggested he was pitching over his head a bit and he took a step backward this year with a 4.16 ERA and 147/82 K/BB ratio in 208 innings. Still, as a 24-year-old starter with a 3.91 career ERA under team control through 2017 the price is going to be steep.
Parker came back strong after missing all of 2010 following Tommy John elbow surgery and the 2007 first-round pick was recently ranked by Baseball America as the Diamondbacks’ fourth-best prospect. Cowgill, who was Arizona’s fifth-round pick in 2008 and made his big-league debut in July, was originally drafted by Oakland out of high school in 2007 but didn’t sign.
UPDATE: Rosenthal adds that veteran reliever Craig Breslow would also be heading to Arizona in the deal.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)