Dec 9, 2011, 6:47 PM EDT
6:47 p.m. EST update: The San Francisco Chronicle’s Susan Slusser says the deal is done. The A’s are getting RHP Jarrod Parker, OF Collin Cowgill and RHP Ryan Cook from the A’s for Cahill and LHP Craig Breslow.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Diamondbacks are “close” to acquiring right-hander Trevor Cahill from the A’s for multiple prospects, adding that right-hander Jarrod Parker and outfielder Collin Cowgill are “in play.”
However, Bob Nightengale of USA Today says Parker “is not in a potential deal” because Arizona plans to have him in the Opening Day rotation.
Top prospect Trevor Bauer isn’t eligible to be traded yet because he was the No. 3 overall pick in June’s draft, although technically he could be a “player to be named later.”
Cahill made the All-Star team as a 22-year-old in 2010, throwing 197 innings with a 2.97 ERA, but his secondary numbers suggested he was pitching over his head a bit and he took a step backward this year with a 4.16 ERA and 147/82 K/BB ratio in 208 innings. Still, as a 24-year-old starter with a 3.91 career ERA under team control through 2017 the price is going to be steep.
Parker came back strong after missing all of 2010 following Tommy John elbow surgery and the 2007 first-round pick was recently ranked by Baseball America as the Diamondbacks’ fourth-best prospect. Cowgill, who was Arizona’s fifth-round pick in 2008 and made his big-league debut in July, was originally drafted by Oakland out of high school in 2007 but didn’t sign.
UPDATE: Rosenthal adds that veteran reliever Craig Breslow would also be heading to Arizona in the deal.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 2
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)