Dec 9, 2011, 5:30 PM EDT
Pittsburgh gave Overbay a one-year, $5 million deal last offseason, but released him in August and the veteran first baseman found a new home in Arizona while hitting well down the stretch.
Presumably the Diamondbacks aren’t interested in blocking Paul Goldschmidt after the slugging 24-year-old played well as a rookie and $1 million for Overbay is certainly bench player money.
Overbay was originally drafted by the Diamondbacks in the 11th round back in 1999 and spent his first season in Arizona before being traded to Milwaukee as part of the massive Richie Sexson-led deal in 2003.
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 4
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 38
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76