Multiple teams interested in trading for Francisco Rodriguez

Dec 9, 2011, 11:51 AM EDT

Francisco Rodriguez AP

Francisco Rodriguez threw a wrench into the Brewers’ payroll plans by accepting arbitration and locking them into a one-year deal for at least $12 milllion, causing them to lose LaTroy Hawkins and potentially scale back efforts to sign other free agents.

However, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com the Brewers have gotten interest in Rodriguez from “a handful of teams.”

Rosenthal says they don’t necessarily plan to trade Rodriguez if he’s willing to accept a setup man role, but odds are the Brewers don’t want to pay $12 million for 65 innings of work in front of a closer earning the league minimum.

Milwaukee is unlikely to get much in return for Rodriguez, but if they can shed his salary, add a decent prospect, and reinvest the money in other areas like they were initially planning it makes plenty of sense.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Dec 9, 2011 at 11:59 AM

So does this mean a team wasn’t willing to give up a first round pick, but will give up something smaller in exchange for one year of K Rod at around $12mill? Or do they have to sign a deal with him before the trade? Or are they even allowed to sign a deal with him before/after the trade?

2. Jeremiah Graves - Dec 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM

There’s a team in Los Angeles that could use some bullpen help and maybe a 3B-type (ie: Gamel/McGahee) and apparently has some pretty deep pockets. Plus, it seems like Milwaukee could likely use a replacement 1B (ie: Morales/Trumbo)…with some pop, just a thought.

• fhuizar - Dec 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM

As a lifelong angels fan I do not want to see this guy again in our bullpen.

He’ll load the bases with 1 out and some how get the save. Yes we do need middle relief but not this guy.

• sandpiperair - Dec 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM

“and some how get the save.”

That sounds okay to me.

• brewcrewfan54 - Dec 9, 2011 at 12:21 PM

I wouldn’t mind if this idea gained some traction.

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 9, 2011 at 12:17 PM

“Okay!! You want to give me a half-eaten apple in return? Deal!!!!” ~ Doug Melvin, while panting with delight

4. Bryz - Dec 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Sounds like a repeat of when Rafael Soriano accepted arbitration with the Braves, which led to him being traded to the Rays for Jesse Chavez.

5. Jonny 5 - Dec 9, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I can’t blame the guy much. The Brewers kinda screwed him out of 5 million dollars by not allowing him to close games, even though he was just a teeny tiny bit better than Axford. Can’t say I blame the Brewers either here. I guess I’m just saying that it’s the F&%$ing you get for the F&%$ing you gave, that’s all.

• nightman13 - Dec 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Jonny-

How is he better than Axford? Axford’s stats are better in almost every category and the Brewers acquired him as a set up man and made that perfectly clear. Axford blew 2 saves en route to setting the franchise record and K-Rod blew 6 in almost half as many opportunities.

Also, if I’m K-Rod I’d jump at the chance to take a reduced role for a contender rather than close for a loser and hope to cash in. If the Brewers made the Series and won, K-Rod’s value would have gone through the roof whether he was closing or setting up.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 9, 2011 at 2:08 PM

How? Last season K-Rod pitching for Milwaukee.
        K/BB ratio (very slim margin .14 diff)
        era (very slim margin .09)
        HR per 9
        hits per 9
        WHIP
        All just a teeny tiny bit better than Axford, “while pitching for Milwaukee.”

Alright K-rod only pitched a small sample size there, and I sometimes like playing devils advocate…… Ya busted me. ;)

• felser - Dec 9, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Axford is better at this point.

• brewcrewfan54 - Dec 9, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Johnny you obviously didn’t watch the Brewers or Axford more than 1 or 2 times last year. The Brewers didn’t screw Rodriguez out of anything. If anyone did it was the Mets and his agent for not closing the loophole in the no trade clause he had. The Brewers traded for him and never said he was going to close. They said he may get some opportunities but why would you break the formula of what was working, Axford, just to keep one rental player happy? It’s easy, you don’t.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I agree with you. I said I can’t blame the Brewers for not using him in closing situations. And I admit I may have been trolling a bit. I’m a bit bored since Sir Albert signed….

• brewcrewfan54 - Dec 9, 2011 at 4:02 PM

No problem Johnny. I admit to doing a bit of trolling out of boredom myself.

6. cintiphil - Dec 9, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I like the guy. I would like the Reds to pick him up rather than the guys they have now. I think he is a better closer than Cordero at this time (not lifetime), and will improve our pen. The Reds can then work on getting Chapman to start, and keep Masset or Ondrusek as the set up guys.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win