Dec 9, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
Francisco Rodriguez threw a wrench into the Brewers’ payroll plans by accepting arbitration and locking them into a one-year deal for at least $12 milllion, causing them to lose LaTroy Hawkins and potentially scale back efforts to sign other free agents.
However, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com the Brewers have gotten interest in Rodriguez from “a handful of teams.”
Rosenthal says they don’t necessarily plan to trade Rodriguez if he’s willing to accept a setup man role, but odds are the Brewers don’t want to pay $12 million for 65 innings of work in front of a closer earning the league minimum.
Milwaukee is unlikely to get much in return for Rodriguez, but if they can shed his salary, add a decent prospect, and reinvest the money in other areas like they were initially planning it makes plenty of sense.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 67
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)